Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Browning Stainless stalker W/Boss 7mm Mag >

Browning Stainless stalker W/Boss 7mm Mag

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning Stainless stalker W/Boss 7mm Mag

Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Browning Stainless stalker W/Boss 7mm Mag

I'm thinking about getting one with the Boss... Can anybody tell me anything about it.. Like how it shoots with the boss... Also they say it has a 26" barrel... How do they measure the barrel with the boss???
Old 08-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Browning Stainless stalker W/Boss 7mm Mag

I can't comment about the measurement of the barrel length, but I would have to imagine that it is the length of the rifled portion of the barrel, exclusive of the BOSS.

As far as how the gun shoots, the BOSS system significantly reduces the recoil of the 7mm and allows some ability to "tune" to a particular bullet/charge combo which makes the gun less picky on which ammunition will shoot well out of it.

The downside of the BOSS system is the extra noise it directs back toward the shooter. Regardless if you are at the range or hunting, you will ABSOLOUTELY NEED HEARING PROTECTION. The muzzle break more than doubles the report of the gun.

If I were to purchase a gun with a BOSS system, I would want the CR (Conventional Recoil) option. This essentially allows the tuneability of the BOSS system without the muzzle break and added noise.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have 1 of those rifles exactly what you have and you can't go wrong with it. The boss tunes the bullet to exit from muzzle at exactly the same point every time. You will go thru a bunch of ammo to find the "sweet spot" but it's well worth it. I originally wanted a .280 but wound up with the 7mm rem mag. Now me being of the tinkering type,I rechambered the barrel to 7mm rem ultra mag with tight chamber and short throat,hand lapped it,and sent it to be cyrogenically frozen. While I was waiting on barrel to come back,Isquared the action,hand lapped lugs,and installed a single set trigger,and ordered .375 h&h magazines. When I got it all together,my best group after all tuning was 2.47" at 800 yards WITH FACTORY BARREL!!! I called this rifle "ma bell" and when I had to sell it,felt like I was cutting off one of my arms.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM

I would think that the boss would add to the legnth but if you buy it from Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas I know that they can measure it for you.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I owned that exact rifle.The actual barrel length is 24" without the BOSS,so the BOSS equipped rifles produce less velocity due to the shorter barrel.As for the BOSS,I will never own another one.It took as many rounds to find the best setting as it would normally take for me to develop a handload.You must go through the same procedure with each different load.The final accuracy was no better than my non BOSS equipped rifles with the loads that they like.The BOSS kept comming loose resulting in the point of impact changing.Most importantly,the BOSS with brake is so loud that a single shot without hearing protection will cause your ears to ring for hours.According to my doctor,this means that some hearing damage has occured.As far as the A-bolt is concerned,the fit and finish was good,but I absolutely hated the magazine system,and the bolt and trigger are also overly designed with too many parts.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

well I picked it up yesterday... Watched the video on the BOSS system... I cant wait to shoot it... I doubt I'll get it tunned in any time soon... I need to get my !@#$ to reload for it... I have some 300 win mag dies and some empty brass if anybody local wants it... Let me know
Old 08-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

i have one its a great shooting gun i recommend it
Old 08-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Contact browning and get the BOSS CR for hunting. It replaces the ported portion of the BOSS so you get normal recoil with normal noise. They are suposed to weigh the same as the normal BOSS so they use the same setting. I have seen the setting changed by the BOSS CR, but only slightly( < 1/4 turn ). I like the BOSS. It generally allows you to get the accuracy of handloads with factory ammo.

Mello
Old 08-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My gun came with both