HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Tikka vs. Kimber (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/199826-tikka-vs-kimber.html)

Yoter 07-30-2007 07:25 AM

Tikka vs. Kimber

I am considering buying a light weight (relatively speaking) rifle in 30-06. I will hunt mule deer and elk with it. I have narrowed it down to the tikka T3 light stainless and the Kimber 8400 Montana. I like the feel of both guns actions and they are both fairly light. The Tikka does not have the greatest stock in the world, but I could live with it. The Kimber is almost double the price of the Tikka. I am typically a function over form type of person. Do you guys think the extra 5-6 hundred bucks is worth it for the Kimber. I plan to put a Zeis Conquest 3-9 on whatever I get.

700xcr 07-30-2007 12:36 PM

RE: Tikka vs. Kimber

Have you looked at the Remingtons in 700"s or model 7's. I just recently purchused Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm and really like it.I will be using for deer and elk this year.Just another option. I don't know much about Tikka or Kimber.

HEAD0001 07-30-2007 01:18 PM

The last Montana I priced was $900. Cartridge was 308 Winchester. Where are you pricing your Kimber's at??? Regardless of price Kimber would be the best choice. Buy American. Tom.

bugsNbows 07-30-2007 03:38 PM

No comparison... Kimber by a mile. IMO, it's just a much better built rifle. The Montana is nice, light, weather resistant and accurate. Personally, I don't like the stock nor blind magazine on the Montana, so I went with an 84M in .308 instead. It's glass and pillar bedded, very light weight and has a decent trigger. Mount some good glass and you're all set.

hillbillyhunter1 07-30-2007 05:51 PM

I like the tikka. Especially if function is priority. I've got the 7mm rem in the T3 and absolutely love it. It is an absolute tack driver. I think they all have the 1 moa guarantee. Can set the trigger to 2lbs. Breaks like glass. great action. what more do you want in function?? Imho.

herman 07-30-2007 07:28 PM

I'll have to agree with hillbilly I have shot tikkas in 243 up to 300 wsm,and I don't think a kimber is going to shoot any better.

kdvollmer 07-30-2007 10:55 PM

I don;'t think that you can go wrong either way. I have shot a few Kimer Rifles and they were sweet shooting guns.

With that being said, I have never shot the Tikkas but I have never heard anything badabout them either. Everybody I have talked to seems to think that they are great guns.

check around, you might be able to find somebody nearby with one that you can shoot on the range to help you make a decision.

skeeter 7MM 07-31-2007 12:09 AM

Finish Kimber. Value for the dollar Tikka.

Champlain Islander 07-31-2007 01:25 PM

I would go Kimber and great choice for glass.

Yoter 07-31-2007 09:36 PM

HEAD0001,

The best I've found locally for the Kimber is about $1,100. I can find them on the web for about $1,000, but can't come close to $900 for a new one. Where were you pricing them for that at?