Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 browning A5 12 auto light >

browning A5 12 auto light

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

browning A5 12 auto light

Old 05-26-2007, 09:14 AM

Default browning A5 12 auto light

I just purchased the gun and was wondering if any body had his gun and what is good buck shoot to use. 28 inch barrel no vent rib
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Default RE: browning A5 12 auto light

man it hard to tell just get some #1 #0 #00 #000 and set a target at 40 yards and see witch one puts the most pellets i a 12" circle i have allways use # 1 buck for deer they have more pellets in them. but then just see witch ones your gun likes
Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

i have about 9 our guns and they shoot OO buck awesome but only out to 50 or so yards... if your going for distance get a gun with a choke ont he end and put in a turkey choke. I shoot a benilli superblack eagle with 3 1/2 inch oobuck with a 665 turkey ckoke and have dropped deeer out to 90 yards easy my 2 cents
Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigBuck28

i have about 9 our guns and they shoot OO buck awesome but only out to 50 or so yards... if your going for distance get a gun with a choke ont he end and put in a turkey choke. I shoot a benilli superblack eagle with 3 1/2 inch oobuck with a 665 turkey ckoke and have dropped deeer out to 90 yards easy my 2 cents
You are lucky. And that is all...lucky. Not only are you lucky that you killed a deer at 90 yards with buckshot (because there is luck involved, espeically with those super slow 3.5") but also lucky that shooting buckshot through a turkey choke didn't blow the end of the barrel off.

There are infact, guys at my hunt club who make a practice of shooting deer at 100 yards with buckshot. Its 2 3/4" loads (as they are MUCH faster) and typically 00 or 000. What you don't hear about is all of the cripples that get lost, or dead deer that get found a couple of days later. Its honestly sad, and there isn't much anyone can do about it. Buckshot is a 45-50 yard and under tool. Period. I have tested it out of just about everygun, with damn near every choke you could imagine. Written about it, read about it, studied it and fooled with it. I have worked with machinist to make custom chokes, barrels and guns, with custom loads...and save a few RARE exceptions, NOTHING will get the job done 100% of the time past about 50 yards. Anything past that....is just plain luck.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
bigcountry

Man, A5's are getting more and more expensive and desired by collectors. I suggest getting you a good remington 1187 with a screw in choke and put your A5 away if its in good condition.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Man, A5's are getting more and more expensive and desired by collectors. I suggest getting you a good remington 1187 with a screw in choke and put your A5 away if its in good condition.
An A-5 is a lifetime gun. Shoot it and pass it on down the line. If all you are going to do is look at it every once in a while you might as well melt it down.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

As to the original question any of the top name Buckshot will do well. Win, Fed, or Rem. #1 to 00.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Why would you want to use Buck shots ongames when slugs these days are very accurate out of this gun , unless you are going to use it for SD purposes?Anyway to answeryour question, my A-5 really like #1 buck and it shoot a tight pattern out to 45 yards. My A-5 get clover leafs with slugs at 50 yards and 2-3" at 100yards, this is with a smooth bore and iron site.
Great gun and you should enjoy your new toy.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: A5Mag12

An A-5 is a lifetime gun. Shoot it and pass it on down the line. If all you are going to do is look at it every once in a while you might as well melt it down.
Dude, don't talk to me, if you have something to say, answer the mans question.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, they are a much too nice of a gun to be hunting with. If its is good shape, just shoot it at the range and keep it clean and safe. IMO

Quick Reply: browning A5 12 auto light

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.