Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Ruger American Rifle .30-06 Springfield >

Ruger American Rifle .30-06 Springfield

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger American Rifle .30-06 Springfield

Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Spike

Default Ruger American Rifle .30-06 Springfield

This first post is just a preliminary review before firing. It is just commenting on the quality and feel of the features and discusses why I purchased this rifle.

I am going to reserve the second post for a review after I have a chance to bring it to the range, zero in the scope and shoot a couple of groupings.

One of the reasons I purchased this gun is because I think it looks real sexy. I know a lot of people are not fans of composite stocks, and yes I think wood stocks just look so much better, but this gun appeals to me visually.

It's also made and assembled (including components) 100% in America and Ruger is known for quality.

It comes with a full diameter, 3 lug bolt. The bolt is so smooth that I can hardly believe this is a $350-450.00 gun (Depending on location and retailer, I personally paid $399.99 + tax.). Because it is a full diameter there is almost no wiggle in the bolt at all and I have tried to cycle the bolt several times from the shoulder and it is a dream to use.

The grips feel great, even barehanded. They might look like they may be a bit uncomfortable, but the gun fits just right in my hands comfortably.

Ruger has it's own proprietary name, but yes it is an AccuTrigger style design. It is supposedly different in that it actually locks the trigger and not the sear.

Here is the rifle with the bolt installed and locked.

Rifle bolt unlocked. You can see that it has a maximum pivot of 70° - which is very nice, I doubt it will interfere with any optic you mount to it. The handle is a tad shorter than most and it does require a little bit of extra pressure to work, but it also may be because it is a new gun, I will update you on this later.

Here is the rotary magazine, will hold 4 rounds, mounts flush to the gun. I will take a picture of it when I have some ammo to put in later.

Here is the rails the gun comes with stock, no rings though. Weaver 46 base, no proprietary stuff.

Tang safety, currently on in this picture. Very nice option to include.

When the safety is off the color of the letter is red, which means you can glance down quickly to see where you are at.

Floating barrel, the dollar slid in with ease but didn't have any play, it's floating all the way to the receiver and you can slide the dollar back and forth easy.

Nice little textured inlay on the bottom of the grip. Don't why I find that so neat, but I do.

---

All in all the gun feels tight and of solid craftsmanship. The stock of course has the cheap plastic feel to it, but it's sturdy and the recoil pad on this thing is very nice. I doubt you will find a nicer recoil pad on a budget gun.

The trigger is adjustable and can supposedly go from 3-5 lbs give or take a 1/2 pound. Not much more I can say until I fire her, but so far on my initial impression I am very satisfied with this gun and would recommend it to anyone looking for a deer rifle or beginner gun. Ruger really seems to have nailed this one.

More to come...
Old 08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Spike

Thanks for the pictures and nice review. Can't wait to see what kind of groups you get out of it!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Ya! Get that thing to the range I wanna see how it shoots, it's been tempting me. Not that I need it, but I like it.
-Jake
Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weaver 46 base, no proprietary stuff.
I was surprised to see this. I thought all their scoped rifles used the proprietary Ruger mounts. Thank you for the review and pictures.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I have read, it's a good, solid hunting gun. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very good rifle! Now put a good Leupold scope and their dual dovetail mount system to hold it on and you're good to go!