Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Ruger Super Red Hawk .44 mag >

Ruger Super Red Hawk .44 mag

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Super Red Hawk .44 mag

Old 04-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ruger Super Red Hawk .44 mag

This is my new toy for deer hunting next year and was wondering what a ethical range is. It has a lupold scope on it but I cant remember the exact power of it. I am shooting 240 grain bullets.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Super Red Hawk .44 mag

It will kill a whole lot farther than you can group. Ok, I will open. I say 50 yards.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Scoped and Garrett 310gr Hard Cast, between 60 and 65yds.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take deer for $100 rebelSeriously,after he really gets used to it,I mean REALLY familier with it,I don't see why he couldn't take deer out to 100 yards. I would say the max range of anything you use is the farthestyou can group 9 out of 10 shots into a 8" area under HUNTING/FIELD conditions-not range shooting.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

100 yards is certainly doable for the gun. Only you can tell how far you can place the bullet well with your gun. With a good rest I can put three shots in a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards with my SBH Bisley Hunter. However I have been shooting handguns for 45 years. It takes practice and you better not wiggle.A very good trigger is a must for longer range pistol shooting.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

James let the guy at least learn how to get to 50yds consistently before he starts shooting at 100yds.

Yes, I know it will do better than 60-65, but I try to keep it at 75yds consistently than all over the place at 100. Hey, I'm talking standing, No rest.

Who knows, RKWmight turn out to be another Johnny Ringo and fast draw the RSRH!
Old 04-22-2007, 08:00 PM
bigcountry

I have a smith performance center handgun (460), that I can get consistent 5" groups at 200 yards. But in the field, I wouldn't dare take that. I am getting a set of stoney point tripod that I might take a good 100 yard shot if it was open and I felt good.

I took to the range the other day and learned there is a big difference in offhand shooting and bench shooting.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your replies, so for the most part it seems it just takes alot of practice and you can take shots up to 100 yards, Im glad to hear that, even though I will try to stay around 50 or 60 yards. Just wasnt sure what the guns range was. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can shoot mine pretty good out to 50 yards ,then thing get alot harder to do.Mine has a 7.5in barrel,that little quiver at the barrel can make a big difference at 100 yards with a barrel that short.These guys that replyed to ya are some of the best on here so listen to them.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with anyone who says you should get as close as you can for a good clean kill. I was referring to the capability of the cartridge. I hunt 99 percent of the time from ambush points so a good rest is no problem. By the time the critter steps into the open, I am ready. Once again, it takes practice and a dead solid rest when you get to 100 yard shooting. The sights on most pistols are not fit for long range shooting and I use a 2X Nikon scope on the 44 SBH and the single shot pistols.

I also put the V Notch rear and front bead sights from the SRH on my SBH. These sights are capable of good shooting at longer range. You can get these sights from Ruger.

Quick Reply: Ruger Super Red Hawk .44 mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.