Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 LEUPOLD vxIII or vxII  ?????????? >

LEUPOLD vxIII or vxII ??????????

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

LEUPOLD vxIII or vxII ??????????

Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LEUPOLD vxIII or vxII ??????????

Rammer, you might also want to consider a Zeiss Conquest with Rapid Z reticle. It's similar to the B&C.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

've been shooting VX-IIs for a few years now, and I can honestly say I beat the crap outta my scopes and they never lose 0 and I can see plenty long after shooting hours is over and well before it starts up.
i have to agree. i love leupolds eye relief and what ever they use for guts sure is beefy. cant speak of those european glass guts but at some point you gotta buy something.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I compared the two, looking through them I thought there was enough difference between the twothat Ipurchasedthe VX-III. I bought the VX-III, put it on top of my 25-06, and have never looked back.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold is my all time favorite brand. I've used em for almost 29 years.
If you have the money,go for the 3. They seem to be a bit sharper, especially in less than optimum conditions. If money isn't issue,go for the 3s.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its difficult to tell the difference in clarity between the II and III at the gun counter. However, its easy 15 minutes before dark when a deer steps out.

The major difference here is that the VX-III has index matched lenses. Not all pieces of glass are exactly the same. While glassmakers do their best, there are always gonig to be small imperfections. Leupold says that their scopes have 98% light transmission, and while I use VX-IIIs nearly exclusively, I'll tell you right now that number is not so. The brightest scopes in the world will only transmit about 92%, and thats through each piece of glass. What you have is a copy of a copy of a copy. What makes a scope bright and clear is the purity of a glass, as well as the quality of the coatings on the glass, which is probably a little bit more important. Leupold looks at each individual lens, and coats it so that it maximizes light transmission and minimizes reflection. This is a feature you get on VX-IIIs and the VXL and now I suppose the new line that replaced the LPS.

Now, thats not to say that the VX-II is a bad scope, its certainly not, but I will vouch that the III is better, and in my opinion, certainly worth the extra money.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM

they are both very good scopes and youll like either, but the V-III is going to give you a clearer view WHEN CONDITIONS ARE BAD. If you can afford it, get it if not the V-II will do fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do notcare forvariable scopes myself. Leupold makes a six power scope called the FX-III. Theyalso make FX-II scopes in various powers. Got6X42 FX-III scopes on a couple of my rifles. They are fantastic in low light.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 AM

I don't think anyone mentioned this or how much it matters to you, but I think the VX III's zoom adjustment is easier to turn because it has a bigger "knob" to turn than the VX II's groove & "bump." My dad has an older VX-III & I have a VX II. The IIis very clear, but it ishard to turn--& has been since it came out of the box. I'm not sure if all VX II's come this way, but if you wear gloves while hunting then it could a problem. Bottom line, I would get a VXIII, even if I had to save up a little longer to get it.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned both VX II and VX III, and both are "visually" pretty much equal to my eyes. If you are looking seriously at the VX III, I would go with a Zeiss Conquest instead.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:29 AM

I find it humerous when the poster of the topic asks that people not make suggestions for other scope brands, and yet every three or so replies recommend another brand (Zeiss, Nikon, etc.)

Personally, I have a VX-II and love it, all of my future scopes will be Leupold. Whether it's worth the extra money is your call.

Quick Reply: LEUPOLD vxIII or vxII ??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.