Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

9mm bear bullet?

Old 04-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 9mm bear bullet?

Just to let you know, just last week a State Trooper here in NJ had to put down a bear, not a big one, he used all his ammo, 45 rounds of 9mm, and the bear was already dieing from being hit by a car, proves my point, the 9mm is a useless round for bears, and crack attacks
Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

If a 9mm out penetrates a 45, try setting up some bowling ball pins or some oldsteel truck tire rims and tell me which has more penetration and knock down power. At a charging bear i want the largest caliber possible. We've tested both calibers and there is really no comparison. the 9 is alot faster but the 45 has a heavier bullet/energy especially idf you are using solids. I too prefer a hollow point.
"Power" and "penetration" are two different things. I never said the 9mm had more energy than a 45. Shoot hardball 9mm and hardball 45 at a few steel plates and see which penetrates best. I have and the 9mm penetrated better. That doesn't mean the 9mm is superior or a better "killing" cartridge than the 45 ACP, but that the smaller diameter round "usually" penetrates better. Both the 9mm and 45 ACP are toys compared to a 44 magnum. Of course the 44 magnum is a mere toy compare to about any rifle
Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM

If a 9mm and a 45 are toys compared to my 44 Mag and my 44 Mag is a toy compared to my 338 Laupua Mag then what is my 338 Laupua Mag a toy compared to? I have it as a toy because i dont hunt nething big enough to need a gun like that. Also what if the 44 Mag is in arifle? Then is the 44 Mag pistol still a toy compared to the 44 Mag rifle?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Retaks

If a 9mm and a 45 are toys compared to my 44 Mag and my 44 Mag is a toy compared to my 338 Laupua Mag then what is my 338 Laupua Mag a toy compared to? I have it as a toy because i dont hunt nething big enough to need a gun like that. Also what if the 44 Mag is in arifle? Then is the 44 Mag pistol still a toy compared to the 44 Mag rifle?
"toys"?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: Tony Orlando and Dawn

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

If a 9mm out penetrates a 45, try setting up some bowling ball pins or some oldsteel truck tire rims and tell me which has more penetration and knock down power. At a charging bear i want the largest caliber possible. We've tested both calibers and there is really no comparison. the 9 is alot faster but the 45 has a heavier bullet/energy especially idf you are using solids. I too prefer a hollow point.

There are no hunting seasons for bowling pins or truck tire rims. And rarely (if ever) will you have to defend yourself against them.

All too often illogical comparisons are made. No animal is as hard as steel or even as hard and dense as a bowling pin. Only consideration I would use is tissue and bone.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

"toys"?
[/quote]

338 Laupua? I guess you can't handle a real man's gun
Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Yea i cant handle a real mans gun. I was going to get a 50 BMG but i saw the new 416 Barret and kinda like it. Im waiting ot see if i can find ammo for it or not since i dont reload. I know i need to get where i shoot bigger guns. My little things couldnt kill a mouse.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 PM

My friends father fought the germans in Italy during WWII.Sometime in the winter toward the end of the war they were in the Italian Alps,very,very cold he said.The came to a town and got to the bank before the krauts had a chance to rob it and leave.He said there was a fierce fire fight at close range.He ran into a german in a building at 20 or 30 feet.They both had all the clothes that they owned on.GI overcoat,germans had one they called a greatcoat.The german had a 9mm submachine gun,my friends dad had a 45 cal thompson submachine gun.They both stitched each other across the chest.The kraut died,the 9mm did not completly penetrate the GI overcoat.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 PM

denis, I'm not doubting you, but I think your friend's father's memory is a bit "fogged". The 9mm full metal jacket didn't penetrate the overcoat at 20 to 30 feet? It penetrated GI helmets at distances further than that.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 PM

Well, I've returned from my first bear hunt in one piece. No bears to be found, but I learned alot from an experienced hunter and enjoyed every minute of the three-dayhunt. And yes, I carried the 9mm. With 147 grain HPs. I'm glad I didn't have to find out if it would stop a bear, but I felt better having it with me.I'll be shopping for a larger backup in the near future so I can keep after the bad bruin with more confidence in my sidearm. I'll keep the 9mmfor homefront security and practice.Thanksall for your input.

So if you only had a 9mmfor backup and were after wild boar, which bullet would youuse?

Quick Reply: 9mm bear bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.