Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

9mm bear bullet?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:44 AM

Default RE: 9mm bear bullet?

I thought that bottom pic was of a leg that got shot with a 12 ga? I have seen it before I know that.

Paul
Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Wonder what his Weapon of choice and side arm was!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

I guess I would look for the heaviest FMJ That I could find.
Me too. IF you have to save your life from a charging bear with a handgun, you must shoot through the skull or up the nasal passages as the bear sticks his nose in your face! You DON"t want an EXPANDING bullet-you want a PENETRATING one! People who recommend expanding bullets for bear PROTECTION have never spent an afternoon shooting pistol bullets in bear's heads - I have......

BTW, when in bear country, NEVER set your rifle someplace where you can't grab it instantly!!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Wonder what his Weapon of choice and side arm was!

Judging by the fact that this guy is wearing running shoes, chances are he had no weapon at all.....
Old 04-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good Grief RH where did you find that picture?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first couple of posts nailed it.
Penetration is the only thing that might help you.
Go with the heaviest bullets you can find, with the most powder behind them, and get as many of them in the air as you can before you get mauled anyway. Maybe he'll bleed out before you get killed.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: James B

Good Grief RH where did you find that picture?
He probobly got the picture from the wife of a guy who went out w/ a 9mm for bear protection.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 PM

trade your 9mm in for a real handgun. My father is a police officer and said 9mm bullets would bounce of rubber tires, sometimes never penetrate a care seat and carry no knock down power at a person shooting at you. His friend had to hit a guy like 8 times with a 9mm while this bad guy kept firing back at him. Buy yourself a 45 colt and 230 grain ACP's, even a 357 or 44 mag if you are afraid of bears. The best thing you could buys is a can ofBear Fogger pepper spray.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

trade your 9mm in for a real handgun. My father is a police officer and said 9mm bullets would bounce of rubber tires, sometimes never penetrate a care seat and carry no knock down power at a person shooting at you. His friend had to hit a guy like 8 times with a 9mm while this bad guy kept firing back at him. Buy yourself a 45 colt and 230 grain ACP's, even a 357 or 44 mag if you are afraid of bears. The best thing you could buys is a can ofBear Fogger pepper spray.
If penetration is your only concern, 9mm ball outpentrates 45 ACP ball in most mediums....

I wouldn't pick a 9mm as my sole bear hunting weapon, but I wouldn't be afraid to carry it as an emergency backup weapon with FMJ or good 147 grain hollowpoint though. I've hunted black bear witha bow and no backup (do to being illegal in my state) with no worries. The 9mm would be worlds better than having nothing at all.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 PM

If a 9mm out penetrates a 45, try setting up some bowling ball pins or some oldsteel truck tire rims and tell me which has more penetration and knock down power. At a charging bear i want the largest caliber possible. We've tested both calibers and there is really no comparison. the 9 is alot faster but the 45 has a heavier bullet/energy especially idf you are using solids. I too prefer a hollow point.

Quick Reply: 9mm bear bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.