HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   looking for a reveiw on the stoeger condor 12 g over and under? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/182363-looking-reveiw-stoeger-condor-12-g-over-under.html)

mo trained 02-26-2007 07:11 PM

looking for a reveiw on the stoeger condor 12 g over and under?

i am thinking of buying a condor they have them at bass pro for 299.00it will be my first over and under.

truckeedan 02-28-2007 11:50 AM

RE: looking for a reveiw on the stoeger condor 12 g over and under?

mo trained,

I too have been looking for an inexpensive over/under. Last week I checked out the Stoger Condor at a gun shop in Reno. The stock finishon the 5 or 6Condors they had all lookedpitted because no filler was used to fill the grain in the wood before the finish was applied. When I hefted all of the Condors it became rapidly apparent that they do not have enough drop on the stock for me as my eye was way to high above the line of the rib. I was impressed with the metal and the balance but if you can't hit anything with it because the stock doesn't fit you, the other things don't matter.

I also looked at the Remington 310 O/U made by Bikal for Remington. Same problem although the finish on the stock was a little better.

Next, I would like to check out a Savage O/U or a Mossberg O/U. They are in the same price range as the Stoger and the Remington and I am hoping the stock drop is more to my liking.

I would have bought either the Condor or the Remington if the stock fit me. They may work for you. You just have to try them to see. What ever you do, don't buy one sight unseen off the internet because if the stock doesn't fit you will have to deal with returning it or find somewhere to palm it off.

e4c4ever 02-28-2007 12:06 PM

I hear they are good for the money. What about a Remington Spartan?

kodiakemt414 02-28-2007 12:31 PM

Ok maybe I'm just in a bad area to buy guns, but the savage is over 1K and I can't find the remington on their site. The ones they do have are over 2K. The Mossberg is a little more (all MSRP here) then the condor.

Like you said though, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't matter.

Any other O/U under 1K???

Edit: Never mind I found them. Helps if you look at ALL the options. LOL

e4c4ever 02-28-2007 12:46 PM

The Weatherby Orion upland! It is 998.00.

e4c4ever 02-28-2007 12:48 PM

Remington SPR310

Rammer 02-28-2007 08:43 PM

CZ USA makes a very nice and affordable over under.

e4c4ever 03-01-2007 07:15 AM

Which one is that Rammer?

Rammer 03-01-2007 08:11 AM

http://www.czusa.com/products_shotguns.php?m=1

apexpredator 03-01-2007 08:20 AM

I bought one several years ago (condor), however the more I held & messed w/ it the cheaper it seemed. I shot it a few times & got rid of it. Unless your on a budget I'd say you could do better.

e4c4ever 03-01-2007 08:50 AM

Are you talking about the CZ Redhead?

Rammer 03-01-2007 09:10 AM

Yep, CZ Redhead is a pretty nice gun for the money.

e4c4ever 03-01-2007 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Yep, CZ Redhead is a pretty nice gun for the money.
Yeah, I know. Looks nice. Apexpredator said it felt cheap, so I was wondering what made it look or feelcheap?

Rammer 03-01-2007 09:45 AM

I think he was referring to the Stoegor Condor.

e4c4ever 03-01-2007 10:07 AM

Really? I hope so..

I was considering getting me an O/U 20/26 for upland birds.
I was thinking of getting a Weatherby Orion Upland, but still too expensive.

apexpredator 03-01-2007 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: e4c4ever

Really? I hope so..

I was considering getting me an O/U 20/26 for upland birds.
I was thinking of getting a Weatherby Orion Upland, but still too expensive.
Sorry all, was referring to the condor, edited original post.

battensp 03-01-2007 01:43 PM

The Condor is a very economical O/U......its not a bad choice. I've sold alot of the youth size condors for kids getting started and the full sizes as well. I'd go 4 it, just to see if its something you'd like to do. Some people dont really get into O/U too much. My dream one is a Beretta silver pigeon.......sigh one day lol. I say go for it man.

Volf 03-13-2007 10:40 AM

I have Steger Condor Supreme (a little fancier gloss stock that 299.00 model and selective trigger)
I would not recommend this O/U (from my own personal experience.) When I bought it 2 or 3 years ago, I was a happy man, it was a well balanced, good finish and wood, and I was able to get 23-24 out of 25 the first time I was shooting trap. I also had a great hunting experience with it, the first year. After putting 200-300 rounds through it I got my first misfire. Well, I cleaned it well and one box later another misfire, then one more, sounded like too weak hit or spring issue. I was advised to change ammo and I did from Remington to Winchester and Federal, but it continue misfire the lower barrel. When I missed 2 pheasants, simply because it did not fire, I took it back to store for repair. It was under warranty, but it took them 6 month to get some little part from Brazil and fix it. I got it back and before take it to the field, again I ran 2 more boxes though it, after 1st one, it refused to fire…again. I took it back to store, they mess with it again, meanwhile, I bought almost new Browning o/u ( simply –love it). As soon as I got it back, even without a 3rd chance I put it for sale in that store for 385.00 (I paid 480.00 for it), 7 month later it’s still for sale
L Maybe I just got a lemon, but looked like gunsmith already new what’s going on with theses “ budget” deal. I would recommend looking somewhere else. I have a feeling that Turkish made CZ o/u and Mossberg o/u would not be much better in quality. See if you can find used quality products by : Weatherby, SKB, Browning, Beretta and other Italian brands.

outdoorslover 03-13-2007 11:51 AM

I have only good things to say for Stoeger. I have a M2000 and could hit anything with it and it's very reliable.

My friend does own the Condor and it is very decent for the money. The only complaints I have about it are that the safety wouldn't go off at first, the recoil pad is a little cheap, and the finish and balance are maybe not the best they could do. For a first o/u it's great or if you just want something inexpensive it's well worth the money. You might be able to find a better gun but not for that price. Go for it unless you have some more money to blow in which case you should buy a Franchi, Ruger, or Browning o/u. Those could run into the thousands however.

outdoorslover 03-13-2007 11:54 AM

Used guns are a great place to look. Try and find a very high quality used brand for cheap.

JeffS 03-13-2007 01:32 PM

A friend of mine has a Stoeger O/U in 20 gauge and he won't sell it. It shoots great and I like it for playing around shooting skeet. For the price of them they seem to be a great gun.

HighDesertWolf 03-23-2007 05:53 AM

the metallurgy is soft like Butta!! (Butter) dont expect one to be a hardcore huntin gun field loads are fine but magnums stretch the chambers pretty fast. a couple friends of mine bought these for waterfowl after two seasons the chambers were shot the guns stretched enough that the guns were darn near impossible to open between shots and were just as hard to close. Id seriously save your money and save up for atleast a spartan which seem to be very good quality though they are still made overseas aswell.

hunterdeneugene 03-23-2007 01:55 PM

two friends of mine bought them when we began skeet shooting a few years ago. They have shot thousands of rounds each through them and have since moved on to better guns but still use them in the field. My one buddy carries his everytime we go small game hunting and puts sub gauge adapters in it to shoot .410 out of his 12 ga. and it works great like that also. Also a Morgan adjustable recoil pad will fix the drop problems in the stock and they are around $35.00

johndeeregreen 03-27-2007 10:42 AM

I bought a Stoeger Condor Youth O/U for my son and it is for sure not a quality gun. The forgrip comes loose after a few shots and they have extractors so the reload time is slow.
The CZs are based on the Browning Superposed with the same type of locking action and we all know the Superposed are one of the best.

younggun308 03-28-2007 03:58 PM

I think the Stoeger action is too hard to open.

Rammer 03-28-2007 07:47 PM

Break action shotguns are like women.......With a lil use they'll loosen right up......:D