Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 710 Stock

Old 02-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Remington 710 Stock

I tried to do a search for stock info, but no luck.
There were, however, tons of words slung at Remington's attempt to destroy their own reputation.....the 710.
My dad decided to join a family coyote hunt at the last minute. He called me from Wally World to tell me of a great deal they had on a Remington .243. I had no idea that he was referring to the 710. While I had no history with the 710, I have heard the negative.
What a piece of junk! I am sorry to all of those who own this rifle and like it, but it really felt like a $99 dollar gun.
My dad will shoot just about anything, and enjoy the experience. But, in 32 years of shooting with him, this is only the 2nd time that he said something negative. This time, before the first shot was fired. The magazine makes a horrible sound while moving around with the gun in a sling over the shoulder. He has emailed Remington...no reply yet. Hopefully a new clip will help.
The action was clunky, and every other throw of the bolt caused a hang up. Hopefully the bad mag is the problem and the new mag is the solution.
Well, my dad is thinking of buying a different gun....adl, stevens 200, or Savage. I doubt that he would try to sell the 710, to a friend anyway! And, since my dad is not a rich man, nearing retirement, I will probably give him what he paid for it, and let my sons shoot it......they like em all!
My question is: do any of the other remington stocks fit this gun? I have an adl stock in storage, but would like to find the answers before I offer to help my dad out. Also, would the 700 scope base fit the 710?
I know that you all are tired of this horse, but like I said, I couldn't find the stock question by searching.
Thanks for your time.
Victor
Old 02-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Default RE: Remington 710 Stock

i believe you cannot exchange the stocks on the 710 since it is all in one piece IMO. I may be wrong though but that's what i've heard. i too had a 710 and recently sold it. i had trouble with the rough action as well. it had nothing to do with the magazine. the gun itself is terrible! period. the only thing impressive of the 710 was its accuracy. it was really good. but to me i would rather shoot 1-1.5" groups than to have a POS that will fall apart IMO.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 AM

Yes, the accuracy wasn't half bad. Then again, the .243 is inherently accurate.
My favorite rifle is a Remington ADL in .308. It is just sad that they, IMO, manufactured the 710.
Anyway, thanks for the response.
Victor
Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 AM

You cannot do any internal work on these guns because they are pressed into the stock.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:59 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Criggster. I don't have it in my possesion, so it is hard to look at.
I still think that my boys will be happier than their Grandpa is with it.
I just want to help my dad out since he is the reason I love shooting so much!
It will just have to stay stock then.
Thanks again.
Victor
Old 02-17-2007, 06:54 AM

I have one and by the looks of it, you can change the stock. The barrel and reciever are one piece but the stock can be removed. I wasn't particularly fond of it either but I bought it as a starter rifle. Now I wish I would've done more research on the Savages but it is what it is now so I will keep it as a back up to my new Ruger M77 and let my dad or one of my good friends use it to go hunting with. I guess you would have to call Remington to find out or take it to a gun smith who doesn't have a negative attitude about it.

So far my opinion of why it gets a bad wrap is the barrel is irreplacable and the rough bolt that seems to jam when it gets hot (I think the Savage bolts do this too). Some people also complain about the plastic trigger guard but then again, the Tikkas T3 Light has this too. The accuracy and the durability on mine doesn't seem to be too bad. I average 1 1/2 groups at the hundred, taken a buck at 170 yards with a clean head shot to sever the spine, and nothings fallen apart on mine like some others have claimed on theirs or they have claimed to have witnessed on others.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:59 AM

Whew!
That's the first good news that I have heard. I will be picking it up today.
I did talk to my dad last night about finding him another rifle, and it was worth every penny to hear him go from disappointment to excitement over another chance to get a better rifle!!
We both own M77's and love them as well, but he will probably still go with the Stevens or Savage for this one. He does not hunt coyotes too often due to the march in, but it keeps him young when he does join.
Thanks again.
Victor
Old 02-17-2007, 08:03 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Criggster

You cannot do any internal work on these guns because they are pressed into the stock.
Where in the world did you hear that? The barrel is pressed in the action. But not pressed in the stock.

I don't know for sure but I think the mag inlet area is fairly different on the 710 over the 700.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, No!! Another HEAD SHOT!! What is this world coming to??
Old 02-17-2007, 01:58 PM

Well, it appears to be a fit problem. And, the only way to fix it is to send it in to Remington. It seems as though it is the stock and not the magazine.
The Gunsmith at our local Gander Mnt will send it in for me for delivery charges only....$12.
He had never seen this particular problem, but felt that Remington has good, albiet sometimes slow, customer service.
It's a good start.

Quick Reply: Remington 710 Stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.