HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Gas vs Inertia... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/179690-gas-vs-inertia.html)

mustad 02-08-2007 08:38 PM

Gas vs Inertia...

What do you guys think about the gas vs inertia approach for semi-auto shotguns?

I've been looking at getting a new waterfowl gun and was pretty far down the line in deciding on an SBE2. I took a look at the new Winchester SX3 and it has me thinking.

I clean my guns pretty often. If I hunt for a weekend, I'll clean my gun after the weekend. If I hunt for a day, I clean my gun at the end of the day. This will not change whether I get a inertia or gas shotgun.

Aside from the cleaning aspect, is there any real big advantage that the inertia driven guns have over the gas guns?

I've heard that gas guns have less recoil. Are there any other advantages that the gas guns have over inertia?

Thanks,

stalkingbear 02-09-2007 07:39 PM

RE: Gas vs Inertia...

I had owned only gas guns until I bought a benelli legacy. WOW! It normally takes a lot to impress me,but I was really impressed by the inertia operating system. The recoil is just as soft,and it will cycle noticeably faster. This is comparing them side by side. I can lay a shotshell on side of reciever,turn it up,and get 5th shot off before it hits ground! I can honestly shoot better with my benelli than I ever could before.

onebadf250 02-09-2007 09:09 PM

Save your money and get a gasser. I'll be the 1st to admit those benelli's feel really good when you throw them up. But I've shot one at the skeet range and on the dove field and when I got done I traded in on a rifle and picked my browing gold back up. If your shooting skeet loads it was fine. Shoot some high brass dove or pheasant/duck loads and you can forget it. Your coming home with a bruise. If you want to test one put 3 1/2" turkey load ina benelli andbrowning goldand let me know which one beats you the most. My benelli had the recoil reducer in the stock and the new stock design they came out with and it still bruised me after a dove hunt...my browning has never done that. (I'm 6'1" 215) The benelli only jammed one time at the skeet range with me vs. never with my browning...and I've put every kind of cheap load you can imagine in the browning and it's never failed.

maytom 02-10-2007 08:12 AM

Personally, I'd go with the Winchester X2 or X3.
Browning bought out Winchester several years ago, and why pay for the Browning name when the X3 is almost a carbon copy except for the magazine cut-off feature, in which it will scratch your reciever in use over time anyway??? A gas operated semi-auto will always be "lighter" on your shoulder VS a recoil operated action.
I also have been hearing that the Beneli's have a tighter inside barrel diameter, making patterning a chore at best compared to the back-bored variety.
;)

Rebel Hog 02-10-2007 08:49 AM

With any shotgun that loads from the bottom, I place 3 shells between my fingers on myforend hand and as I shoot, I shove one in with my thumb. States that require shotguns to beplugged to 3 shells like FL, I shoot 6 in seconds, especially when Quail,Dove or Duckshooting!:)

crimedog 02-10-2007 02:10 PM

I don't like the SBE IIand I have one, buy either the Winchester or Berretta. The Benelli does not have a lengthened forcing cone or overbored barrel the other two do. Beretta and Winchester you can get chokes and recoil pad and other parts from the factory, benelli forget it. I think the winchester and berretta will pattern better, tell you in a week.

But if you dead set you can have mine for 1100.00, it's barely used. I can send pictures.

mustad 02-10-2007 06:02 PM

I have never seen a Beretta that likes me. I have a Benelli right now (M1 Super 90). It's a good gun, but I'm ready to move on, or at least keep it as a back up.

I think the SX3 is in my future.

Thanks for the balanced feedback.

cheers,

retrieverman 02-10-2007 06:53 PM

From Belgium Browning A-5 to my Benelli Super 90, I am an inertia fan.

ReDoT 02-14-2007 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

From Belgium Browning A-5 to my Benelli Super 90, I am an inertia fan.
HAIL the mighty A-5!!!! i call them recoil operated but "inertia" sounds cool these days and sells better. I read a study preformed on all semi shotguns made and John Brownings design of the A-5 proved superior to all others when it comes to cycling speed, even faster than benelli......but thats not to say benelli's are in anyway inferior!! 2 SBE2's are probably lighter than 1 A5. non the less the A-5 holds a spot in my heart no other shotgun will touch.......heavy pigs they may be, their craftsmanship, quality, performance are supurb! But i also beleive in the recoil guns over the gas operated, ssimplicity can often times prove superior!

outdoorslover 02-14-2007 10:45 PM

I like my Stoeger model 2000. It's inertia operated. I'm under the belief that inertia is more reliable and gas has less recoil. I may be wrong though, as I've never tested many gas operated guns. The Browning Gold is actually my favorite gun. I can't complain about my m2000 however. It's old faithful. I think gas operated ones get dirtier.

Inertia has my vote but I've got nothing against gas.