Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 45-70 Gov Best Rifle Choice >

45-70 Gov Best Rifle Choice

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

45-70 Gov Best Rifle Choice

Old 02-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Default 45-70 Gov Best Rifle Choice

I would like to buy my 1st 45-70 rifle, what would be the best choice. I will load my own shells. We went to the gun shop today to get cost on components- $56.00 100 brass, $40.00 Redding Die Set, $21.99 100 Rem HP 300gr bullets in bulk. I do not know which powder yet, because I haven't decided on the rifle. Any advice would be a great help. Nostly this rifle willbe used to punch paper here in Ohio.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45-70 Gov Best Rifle Choice

For target, perhaps an 1895 High Wall. (If you have the bucks.) Harrington & Richardson has some dandy little single shots for a bunch less, and a trigger job would not be prohibitive. We have a couple Winchester lever actions in the Scheel's store in the capitol city last time I looked. Around 2k or so.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the 45-70 there is no bad choice of rifle. Any old one will due. All you need is a bunch of Black Powder, Five gallon bucket full of wheel weights, melting pot, ladle, and some sort of mold. Any old 405 grain mold will due. Pour the case full of powder. Take a butter knife and smooth off at the top of the casing. Seat, crimp, and shoot. You do not even have to crimp for a single shot. Keep your loads around 1200 fps, and your casings will last a lifetime(not quite), a little soap and water, and load them again. It does not get any cheaper, or better than that. Now this is what I call shooting. And this is what I call fun. That load will kill animals as far as you are capable of shooting. Do not believe anyone who tells you a 45-70 is a 100 yard rifle. There were a whole lot of buffalo that could tell you different. Here is one of mine. Tom.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

With the 45-70 there is no bad choice of rifle. Any old one will due. All you need is a bunch of Black Powder, Five gallon bucket full of wheel weights, melting pot, ladle, and some sort of mold. Any old 405 grain mold will due. Pour the case full of powder. Take a butter knife and smooth off at the top of the casing. Seat, crimp, and shoot. You do not even have to crimp for a single shot. Keep your loads around 1200 fps, and your casings will last a lifetime(not quite), a little soap and water, and load them again. It does not get any cheaper, or better than that. Now this is what I call shooting. And this is what I call fun. That load will kill animals as far as you are capable of shooting. Do not believe anyone who tells you a 45-70 is a 100 yard rifle. There were a whole lot of buffalo that could tell you different. Here is one of mine. Tom.

That is sweet. I want one. I was looking at them just a couple of days ago when I was picking up my muzzleloader.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a NEF buffalo classic with a 32in barrel that I just love to shoot and at around 350.00 not to bad on the wallet.I have even shoot buffalo bore ammo out of it with no problems.I also have a marlin lever it is a great hunting rifle. It will do all I want as far as range and killing power.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with HEAD0001. There is no bad 45-70. This is one caliber which even shines in the NEF rifles. I have owned the Buffalo Classic 32 inch and several 22 inch Handi rifles. I have had a couple of the Sharps versions and a couple Rugers. Also several Marlin lever guns. I like it the single shots best because it just increases the they versatility of load possibilities. The Ruger No l offers almost unlimited opportunities. I have shot everything from rattle snakes to big bears with this caliber. Buffalo too.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:59 PM

The loading manuals have different data for the Ruger #1 & #3 along with the 1895 Marlins. Where does the TC Encore fall into this. Do they have to be loaded to theSpringfield dataor into the Ruger category? It would seem they would be the same as the Ruger. The only reason I say this is because you can buy much larger centerfire barrels for the Encore than the 45-70. I was leaning towards the TC, but maybe I should consider the Ruger #1 because you could shoot any of the published loads. What is everyone elses take on this?

Thanks for all your responses
Old 02-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

While the Ruger will shoot the heavies loads, most find that the recoil is the determining factor. The T/C will handle all but the heaviest Ruger loads and there would be no problem with they Marlin level loads. Strength wise the Encore should handle Ruger loads as well. The T/C will for sure shoot the heaviest load that your shoulder will want to stand. The 45-70 does not need high velocity loads to do its thing.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is exactly right james b,if you get a 350 grain bullet up to 1800fps that will kill just about everything I would ever want to shoot. And that isnt near what you can get from it. My rifles like them around 1950fps and I can still get more but I cant get them to group like I want.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks James

I am heading to the gun shop tommorow after work. They have the Encore and the Ruger. I am still considering both. A freind of mine brought me information on a Winchester 1885 at Cabela's today. They look really nice, but I think the price might keep from getting all my acc. I am going looking on the net tonight.

Thanks again Jeff

Quick Reply: 45-70 Gov Best Rifle Choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.