HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Tikka t3 vs. browning abolt hunter. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/177538-tikka-t3-vs-browning-abolt-hunter.html)

pdoughertyMU 01-27-2007 05:10 PM

Tikka t3 vs. browning abolt hunter.

I am looking for 2 new rifles, and have already decided that one will be a sako.

The other one I am still looking for, but want to stay within the abolt/tikka price range.

I also am choosing between these 3 calibers, .308 (for sure am getting a .308)

and then either a 300 wsm or a .338

So the combinations could be a sako in either .308, 300wsm, or 338

or tikka/abolt or whatever other cheaper gun i go with in the .308, 300, and 338.

Now, i already have a tikka in 7mm, and love it to death. But am really liking the action and the quality looking wood on the brownings. also, i am a little cautious about the brownings accuracy, as i have generally heard the tikka is a little better in that category.

What would you all pick for the cheaper rifle, and what caliber would you put to which rifle?

Just looking for suggestions, and am really trying to think through it.

I figure i would rather have the nicest rifle possible for shooting the longer distances, becuase that is where the accuracy would matter most. So right now I'm leaning towards the sako in either the 300 or the 338, and the browning or tikka in the .308.

M77man 01-27-2007 06:21 PM

RE: Tikka t3 vs. browning abolt hunter.

Da Tikka in .308 for thy cheaper rifle and might as well go .338for the more expensive.

TerryM 01-27-2007 09:19 PM

What animals do you want to hunt and what type of terrain do you hunt?

pdoughertyMU 01-27-2007 09:46 PM

everything-from caribou,elk, whitetail, bear, goat, moose, muledeer, absolutely everything. I want power and flatness, so if i come across a trophy of a lifetime that is 500 yards away, I could take him.

Granted, I probably will not start hunting most of these species for a few years, but i figure i should get the gun soon and start practicing out to the 400-500 yard range, learning what loads work best, etc.

As of right now, I am thinking about going with a sako in .338 win mag, since the .300wsm has very little ammo options to choose from, and isn't that much different the the 7mm,

and a browning or tikka in .308.

I also am eyeballing the ruger hawkeye, or maybe a m77.

however, when i bought my tikka they seemed to be far more expesnive, now i see them on able ammo for only 514 bucks, which i think is horrendously cheap for the performance. I think i bought my light stainless, (now only 499) for 560-600.

So im currently going for the tikka because i am confident in its performance, but really would like the quality wood of the browning.

Rammer 01-28-2007 01:39 AM

My Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 7mag outshoots my Tikka T3 in 243. Can't seem to find a load for my Tikka that is a consistent 3/4" or better shooter. My A-Bolt will shoot anything I put in it in a nice tiny group.

M77man 01-28-2007 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: pdoughertyMU

everything-from caribou,elk, whitetail, bear, goat, moose, muledeer, absolutely everything. I want power and flatness, so if i come across a trophy of a lifetime that is 500 yards away, I could take him.

Granted, I probably will not start hunting most of these species for a few years, but i figure i should get the gun soon and start practicing out to the 400-500 yard range, learning what loads work best, etc.

As of right now, I am thinking about going with a sako in .338 win mag, since the .300wsm has very little ammo options to choose from, and isn't that much different the the 7mm,

and a browning or tikka in .308.

I also am eyeballing the ruger hawkeye, or maybe a m77.

however, when i bought my tikka they seemed to be far more expesnive, now i see them on able ammo for only 514 bucks, which i think is horrendously cheap for the performance. I think i bought my light stainless, (now only 499) for 560-600.

So im currently going for the tikka because i am confident in its performance, but really would like the quality wood of the browning.
I have the Ruger M77 MK II, stainless synthetic in 7 Mag that I just bought last year and topped it off with a nice Nikon scope. I love the rifle but want to get a lighter trigger. Wait for the new Hawkeye that has a newer and improved trigger if the price is going to be no more then $100 more, otherwise you may have to incur the extra cost for a new trigger. On the bright side, all Ruger rifles come with scope rings that are ready to mount and once mounted are absolutely un-moveable. I love my MK II except for the heavy trigger that causes me to pull my shots and flinch more often. On that note, I hardly consider the Ruger a "cheap" rifle. It's an exceptional quality rifle for the price. Half the price of a Browning and just as good.

pdoughertyMU 01-28-2007 03:43 PM

the ruger seems nice.

Im not liking the brownings so much anymore after i went to g-mountain and looked at some. the action just isn't as smooth as i had hoped for. It looks beautiful, just can't see myself buying one

stalkingbear 01-28-2007 03:57 PM

I love A-bolts,there a BUNCH of reasons that I feel they are among very best of factory rifles.

pdoughertyMU 01-28-2007 04:12 PM

would you mind sharing them?

stalkingbear 01-28-2007 05:02 PM

The a-bolt comes glass bedded from factory,concealed detachable magizine has scissor spring instead of w spring,bolt has 3 locking lugs-thus 60 degree bolt throw,WIDE extractor with plenty of bite,bolt handle is shaped for fast,comfortable operation,factory free floated barrel,palm swell built in grip,smooth slick bolt operation(except for 1 I read about),tang safety so you can easily operate without looking by feel when throwing up to shoulder,fully adjustable crisp trigger,available boss system,want me to keep going?