Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.22 hunting handgun

Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Default .22 hunting handgun

what's a good 22 hand gun for hunting. I was thinking about getting a Taurus 22 tracker with a 6 inch barrel w/ open sights.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:54 PM

Default RE: .22 hunting handgun

Buckmarks are a solid choice. Lot of guys love their bigbore taurus revolvers though.
S&W makes a beatuful 10-shot revolver...if money is thick that's what I'd pick. Otherwise the longer barreled Buckmarks are the way I'd go. They are so popular you can always find them used at gunshops.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is whats been calling me to bring home.
Its a ruger MKlll hunter.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Buckmarks are a solid choice. Lot of guys love their bigbore taurus revolvers though.
S&W makes a beatuful 10-shot revolver...if money is thick that's what I'd pick. Otherwise the longer barreled Buckmarks are the way I'd go. They are so popular you can always find them used at gunshops.
i love my buckmark

Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

+1 for the Buckmark!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is whats been calling me to bring home.
Its a ruger MKlll hunter.
I have 3 of the Rugers and would recommend them to anybody. Mine have had several thousand rounds fired through them with no problems at all and they are very accurate. I have a couple of the Mark II's, and a Mark III 22/45. We started using them to hunt squirrels with and they are great. They are also great for thinning out turtles in ponds.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

On the revolver side of the aisle, I would recomend a Taurus 94 or a Rugerbearcat. Easy to carry , fit in a pocket anddecent accuracy close in.If you don't mind a larger size such as the tracker you were looking at, then you should also consider a Ruger single-six. All are great guns and and very easy to maintain. Hate autos just cuz the time they kill when you have to clean them and I do not feel very secure with the safety system on single actionrimfire autos. Always end up carrying unocked/ unloaded and scare off game when i finally have to load the things. With the revolvers I am not so frightened because of the visible hammer and the fact that I can carry with a empty chamber under thehammer.Hopeit helps.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would reccomend for a semiauto-ruger mk 2 or mk3. HANDS DOWN!!!
Yes,the buckmarks shoot good,have a couple of disadvantages. First is they only have a wire for ejector. Second is you have to remove the whole top to field strip with an allan wrench no less.
As far as revolvers,look at S&W k22 and ruger single six hunter model.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:26 PM

There's really not much that compares to Ruger MKII's. I've got two, one is an old MKI and lives somewhere in my truck. I need it two or three times a year and when I find it, it's caked with dirt but still functions flawlessly and accurately. The other has a Leupold 4x andis my squirrel gun. Talk about fun!
The only 22 I prefer over the MKII is a S&W 41. Good luck finding one of those at a price you can afford.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 AM

+1 Browning Buckmark My cost at Academy was $214 with a holster. You can find them now about $250-$300

Quick Reply: .22 hunting handgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.