Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 MN. hunters, will a .270 or .280 work OK in the brushy type woods of North MN? >

MN. hunters, will a .270 or .280 work OK in the brushy type woods of North MN?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

MN. hunters, will a .270 or .280 work OK in the brushy type woods of North MN?

Old 12-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Default RE: MN. hunters, will a .270 or .280 work OK in the brushy type woods of North MN?

Hey Brush Hunter,
Thanks for the reply. My Dad had one of those 45-70's I believe it was the Government, we just sold it last year and I never even tried that one. My buddy has mentioned that he would like to give one of those a try. I just don't remember if it was for his Encore or trying to find one of those T/C??(Quigley down under rifles) I think it was that one, he wants to take it out to this range that offers some really long range shooting and just experiment with it. I would think that might be overkill here in MN for our White tail, but I guess that I never considered that caliber. I guess that would be the one real advantage to the T/C Encore line of rifles with the optional barrel offerings.

What I really need to get decided first is do I go with the Encore line or the Tikka. I am seeing benefits to both, I was starting to sway toward the Tikka line since I already will have a Knight Master Hunter Disc Extreme .50 for next season. Possibly the smartest move would be to just go with the Encore and grab the different barrel offerings for experimentation. I guess that could always be a pretty cool style gun since the handling would always be the same no matter which barrel I choose.

If I end up going with the Encore then I need to get in to my shop here in town and get one on lay-away before they are all gone. They have one Pro Hunter and two regular Encores in stock right now. The Encore is kind of tempting with the price reduced down to $500.00 compared to the $750.00 price on the P/H. I was first thinking the Tikka might be the way to go since I already will have the Knight, but I guess that it would not be too bad having a second ML. That way just in case one of my Son in laws took interest I could let them try one of mine. Decisions, Decisions!

Now I need to decide between the Encore, Pro Hunter and the Tikka, then the caliber! I was just glad the other day when I was looking at the guns and my Wife said to just get one, especially because I still had the Knight on lay-away. I guess that I had better just make up my mind on which one and do it, before she forgets what she said.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MN. hunters, will a .270 or .280 work OK in the brushy type woods of North MN?

I live in N MN and its about accuracy. Nothing shoots through twigs except buckshot.The reason buckshot works is some of the shot will probably get through untouched. Of course the range is limited and they are illegal in the first place.

Statements that the 30 calibers will shoot through brush better than a 270 or 280 are incorrect. In fact the 270 is better than the 280 and both are better than the 30's as the bullets are smaller. This is a negligible difference but the smaller the bullet the less chance of hitting brush. Once a bullet hits brush, its anyone's guess as to where its going.

The best hunters have the ability to shoot through a hole. 270, 280 or any of the 30's will work just fine but the one that will work the best is the one you can consistently shoot the straightest in all conditions.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Z900- I was going through this post and was going to say exactly what you said. You can choose a .375H&H with a 300grain RN solid and deflect off of a branch.
Quote me on this" There are no brush guns"!!! Thats an old gun writers phrase for a woods gun or carbine that was toted into the thick stuff instead of a long barreled magnum. The short barrels and light, easy shouldering capability of the small lever guns or short Model 7types were the brush guns becuase they didn't get caught on branches or briar bushes when you still hunted and jumped a deer. You could get the gun to easliy maneuver around obstacles while getting the gun up on a jumped deer, etc.
The .270 is a great cartridge and will serve you well as long as you shoot between the twigs!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

wow thanks for clearing up the brush gun thing being from northern mn also shes thick this I know. I always hate hearing "brush gun" and the dummys wonder why they miss so many deer. Its only a bullet not a brush hog. I've seen people try to shoot through 50 yards of slashings cant hardly see the deer gut shoot it and not find it as for your question the 270 is the perfect mn deer rifle.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

The .270 or .280 ( .270 ammo is much easier to find though ) will work perfectly for you in any type of cover thick or open country. As for the Tikka, its the best value right now in a bolt rifle. Buy it.
And balistically the same only difference is you can get a 160 grain bullet in .280 compared to 150 in .270. No real advantage for .280.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 PM

i just got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .270 and it is really nice
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

only difference is you can get a 160 grain bullet in .280 compared to 150 in .270. No real advantage for .280.
Actually you can get 175 gr bullet for the .280 rem(.284) and 160 gr for the .270 win (.277). These aren't loaded in factory ammo though. The 280 rem's advantages are handling the larger class of bullets, which really only matters if you want to shoot them or more specifically for larger than deer applications.

If buying factory ammo the .270 offers more selection and for deer is a good choice.

As to which rifle well that is entirely up to you. Personally I would pick the Tikka,if forno other reason then the fact the encore is a premium priced package and still only a single shot CF! If you have to have the encore I'd opt for the regular the savings will help pay for the CF barrel you buy.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 AM

I also live in northern Minnesota and would use a 30-06 over a 270/280.
A 30-06 is just a better brush gun, plus you can use bigger and heavier bullets and living up here you will be taking shots through brush.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Not only in MN, but even in the South, West, East, North, Canada and Africa,etc,etc,etc.

Here's a spike elk and mulie I shot in 1994 with Fed. .270 150gr NP. Both in the same day, hours apart.

Down here in FL I always used Fed. .270 130gr NP for white tails.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

358 that is right on the money. There are no real brush guns except for the fact they can be carried thru the brush easier. ie; win. model94 marlin model336. Get the .270 you will be happy.

Quick Reply: MN. hunters, will a .270 or .280 work OK in the brushy type woods of North MN?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.