Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Never used a firearm, looking to try, could use resources. >

Never used a firearm, looking to try, could use resources.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Never used a firearm, looking to try, could use resources.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Never used a firearm, looking to try, could use resources.

Hello everyone,

I'm completely new to the world of guns and firearms, but I think I'll really enjoy them. I hoping some people might be able to point me in the right direction as far as articles or websites that I should read. I'd like to learn all I can.

I'd also like to know what rifle to purchase and how I should go about doing that (there is a local shop, but I don't want to get a bad deal, how do I know what's a good price?). I read that it makes sense to start with a 22 when you are learning.

Sorry for all the questions, I just very new to all of this.

Thank you for any help!!
Dana
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 AM

Default RE: Never used a firearm, looking to try, could use resources.

Got to www.chuckhawks.com and go to the guns and shooting section.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

Got to www.chuckhawks.com and go to the guns and shooting section.
x2, wealth of knowledge on this site
Old 12-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

As for a first purchase I would get a .223 centerfire instead of a .22 remfire. Just myopinion.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM

Before you buy a gun read up on gun safety. The NRA web site is a good place to start. If I was going to buy a gun for someone just starting to shoot I think I would get them a Savage bolt action 22. They are accurate, cheap and reliable. I just bought my last gun at Walmart. They have good prices and you can pick the exact gun you want online and order it from the store. A local gun shop you may pay a little more, but theycan set up with everything you need like a scope, mounts for the scope, local places to shoot. Ask them if there is a problem with the gun if you can bring it back and exchange it before you buy it. I would recommend trying to find a friend that shoots to get some pointers before buying a gun. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

To get an Idea of pricing, go here GunsAmerica - The Honor System Gun Classifieds
Old 12-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Here are the Verses from the Gun Bible, NRA Gun Safety Rules
Old 12-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Great info, keep it coming

As far as the Savage bolt action 22. which one would you recommend. I'd like to get a budget rifle, but I also don't know if I should go bottom of the line. However, I don't know enough yet to distinguish between these different models:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=Savage+ bolt+action+.22&ic=24_0

Also, what's the advantage of a 223 centerfire over a .22 remfire? How would the cost of amo compare?

And thank you guys for the links they have been really helpful.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

.22 rimfire ammo is about the cheapest your gonna get. you can buy 600 rounds of that for around $13.00. the .223 is a centerfire caliber (high power rifle). the ammo on this is still cheap, just not as cheap as the .22. the difference is the .22 is great for target shooting and small game hunting (squirrel, coon, rabbit, etc.). the .223 is suited for small to medium game hunting (prairie dogs, fox, coyote, wolves, deer, etc.) you definately don't want to hunt squirrels with a .223 and you definately don't want to hunt deer with .22.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:24 PM

What I would do is get a Marlin Bolt Action 22 Rifle and practice until you are good at it. This is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles you can get and bolt action simulates a hunting rifle.

When you are ready I would move straight into your hunting rifle setup. This will give you time to study what caliber to get. I love the .270 or .270 WSM because it will easily handle most anything you will hunt in the future, except large dangerous game.

Welcome to the world of firearms and shooting. MV out!

Quick Reply: Never used a firearm, looking to try, could use resources.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.