Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Help decide on rifle purchase >

Help decide on rifle purchase

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help decide on rifle purchase

Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help decide on rifle purchase

So if you are shooting a non-premium 150gr bullet through a 7mm Rem Mag at a deer 100 yards away would it be more or less likely to frament than shooting a non-premium 150gr bullet through a .30-06 at a deer 100 yards away? I think that is where the 7mm Rem Mag gets knocked. Most people tend to buy the cheapest box of shells on the shelf in the weight that they are looking for. The velocity of the 150gr bullet is much higher coming out of the 7mm Rem Mag than the .30-06 and therefore it has more of a chance to fragment using a non-premium bullet. This needs to be overcome by shooting premium bullets that won't be affected as much from the higher velocity on impact.

Is that correct?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Could be but I doubt it. The 7mag only travels about 200 fps more then the 30.06. I would knock the ammo first. They're probably using plain ole core lockts or wolf or something. 150 grains out of a 7mag, 30.06, or 300WM is perfect for deer. for my 30 calibers I use 165 grain bullets and my 7mag 150 grain, both work great on light skinned deer. Then again I trust either Hornaday or Federal ammunition.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

The majority of deer I have harvested with my 7mm rem mags was with 150gr Nosler ballistic tip at ranges from 30 to over 400 yards. If I shoot them behind the shoulderI have always got pass thrus. On shoulder hitsata high rate of speed (closer) sometimes I haven't got completely through but that is due to the design of the bullet being eclipsed. I have never lost a deer and the majority have dropped 50 yards or less. My primary target is the ribs so i don't see the need to worry about the closer then normal shots that may happen. I shot a mulie buck at 407 yard this fall 1/4 away, the 150 NBT entered the ribs took out the lungs and exited the opposite lower portion of the scapula doing very little damage to the opposing shoulder. The bullet performed as i expected and the deer dropped on the spot. However if closer was normal &/or I prefered the shoulder aim point I wouldn't use a polymer tip/rapid expansion bullet. Instead a premium bullet like the Nosler partion or a standard like the hornady interlock sp would be better choices IMHO.

I hunt elk annually and moose regularily previouslyI used Nosler Partitons and 160gr Accubonds with good results.2 years ago Iswitched to the 140 Barnes TSX and am sold on them for this application. 2 bull elk have been taken at 100 - 175 yards and both pass throughs with excellent wound channels. I also shot a Bull Moose in 05' at 70 yards 1/4 away, the bullet travelled through the lungs before busting the opposite shoulder and coming to rest in the hide - retention was 92% and expansion diameter was over 2x original @ .714" text book barnes pedal look. The performance was as good as it gets IMHO, pentration on angle through a 1000 plus lb animal was impressive, the lungswere soup and he took maybe a 2 steps before falling to the forest floor - all this with a load thataverages over 3200 fps at the muzzle!!!

It depends on the situation. I don't really consider the Nosler ballistic Tip a premium bullet but it works perfectly for my deer sized hunting needs. For larger then deer I look to a premium controlled expansion bullet like mentioned above. This has been my MO regardless of the cartridgeI load for be it a 06', 7mm rem mag, etc.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM

Id personally go with the ruger ina 7mm mag i owned a 7mag and loved it. the browning is also a wonderful choice ive shot several 710 and i dont care on how the bolt cycles it seems rough and unreliable but hey thats just me. The 7 mag would serve u well in any of theese model guns but u need to pick a gun that best fits you, bring it to your shoulder and cycle the bolt and see if it feels natural to you and when u find one that does grab it asap.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:25 PM

ok well id never take an 30-06 over a 7mm mag it just isent done the 7mm and the 30-06 are close to 400 yards and than the 7mm hits powerband and leavs the 30-06 behind and in the dirt. 1 7mm flatter shooting 2 7mm is more accurate 3 i believe it is the most versitile calibur out ther 4 the recoil is close to the same 5 7mm is faster 6 buy the 7mm mag youll be happier with it i believe. id go for the odd6 if i was hunting thick brush but no id still take my 7mm i have a 30-06 and i like my 7mm more because its nicer to shoot and i can shoot further. there both good but the 7mm mag is better
Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 PM

the bullets are the same price too the 7mm mags are not any more expensive than the 30-06 at least here in canada 17 to 20 a box for both
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 PM

the 7mm is flatter than the 300 and the 300 hurts when you pull the trigger
Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 PM

there is alot of good points in here really good points
Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: npaden

So if you are shooting a non-premium 150gr bullet through a 7mm Rem Mag at a deer 100 yards away would it be more or less likely to frament than shooting a non-premium 150gr bullet through a .30-06 at a deer 100 yards away? I think that is where the 7mm Rem Mag gets knocked. Most people tend to buy the cheapest box of shells on the shelf in the weight that they are looking for. The velocity of the 150gr bullet is much higher coming out of the 7mm Rem Mag than the .30-06 and therefore it has more of a chance to fragment using a non-premium bullet. This needs to be overcome by shooting premium bullets that won't be affected as much from the higher velocity on impact.

Is that correct?
To me, I get the feel that you're passing on a lot of bias from what other people are pesruading to you. You're correct sir, in that the Remington SPS is made cheaply. Stay away from the 710, I have one in 30-06 but only as a backup to my Ruger M77 7 Mag. So have you picked up the Ruger M77 yet? I love my Ruger M77 7mag, it's a beuatiful gun!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still thinking about it! I've since purchased some property here in Texas and will probably spend more time hunting around here and a 7mm Mag is a bit overkill down here so I'm now thinking I might should buy2 rifles. If I do that I will probably buy a .300 Win Mag and a .270 Win. Then again, browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker is on sale right now for $691 in .30-06. There is an old style M77 in 7mm Mag at my local shooting range that has been there forever but they want $475 for it and that old style stock looks like it would kick like a mule. I don't think I'm any closer to deciding what I want than when I started this thread!!!

Quick Reply: Help decide on rifle purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.