Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

managed recoil ammo

Old 11-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default managed recoil ammo

Hope this isn't a repeat thread (probably is).

Has anyone been using the managed recoil rounds from Rem? I'm about to hand down my 30-06 to my son. It's a little much for him, and I thought about trying these rounds. Cheaper than buying a new rifle, which is out of the question right now.

So, are they living up to the hype? Does the 06 really feel like a .243?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: managed recoil ammo

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

Hope this isn't a repeat thread (probably is).

Has anyone been using the managed recoil rounds from Rem? I'm about to hand down my 30-06 to my son. It's a little much for him, and I thought about trying these rounds. Cheaper than buying a new rifle, which is out of the question right now.

So, are they living up to the hype? Does the 06 really feel like a .243?
It'd say it's probably really close considering that they managed recoil rounds have a velocity and energy output considerably below the .243 Scirrocco.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:56 AM

I bought some of the Remington Managed recoil and federal low recoil rounds last year and shot them in my wifes new 30 - 06. I wanted to see if they really were what the companies claimed they were. I can say that the don't print exactly the same as the full power loadings, but they were close and required only minor adjustments of the scope settings. And, as far as the power goes, they were pretty much equal to a .243 in recoil. So they lived up to the hype as far as the recoil goes, and they are good out to just over 200 yards. I think it would make a fine gun for your son, with either of those low recoil loadings.

But , since you did not say what kind of gun you have, be aware that the reduced powder charge in either brand is not enough to cycle a semi-automatic rifle and the case will hang during ejection. If it is a bolt action, you are in good shape.

Good luck and Good hunting

God Bless

Old 11-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a 700 bolt action.

Thanks to both of you. That pretty much answered my question. The only other thing I would wonder is about bullet construction. Does the round really expand like they say at those velocities at 100 or 200 yards? Most of our shots would most likely be in the 75 to 100 yard range anyway, but Remingtons website says it's a combined lower powder charge with a new type of lighter bullet.

Anybody have any experience on an animal with these?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Elgallo, I highly recommend the Managed Recoil ammo. When I bought my Rem 710 three years ago, I bought it in .30-06 because Remington had just come out with the Managed Recoil ammo. I knew I then had a calibre that both my son (15 now) and daughter (13 now) could shoot as well as a rifle I could use to hunt just about anything by using "full-power" ammo.

I would definitely say the adverstised reduction in recoil is true. In fact, since I hunt in some woods where I don't shoot more than 50 yards, I will probably use the Managed Recoil myself - why beat myself up? And since I don't regularly practice shooting past 200 yards, I'm not sure that I just won't stick with it all the time.

We've taken two deer using the Managed Recoil ammo, but I haven't ever bothered to recover bullets for analysis. All I can tell you is that they've worked fine in the two cases I've been able to use them.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Just set up a 270 NEF last week for my brother and his young grandson to hunt with Thanksgiving.Didn't have time to go to the range,its 25 miles away,but put a scope on it and shot it in my back yard at 15 yds,couldn't believe it shooting off hand it put 5 shots into one small hole at that distance,and didn't felt very little recoil.I was shooting the rem low recoil loads with 115 gr bullets.
So far I think it was a great idea from rem for those that cannot take recoil.
Think the 115 gr bullets were the new core-loc ultra,sure would like to get some of them and reload for a 270 and see how they do,but haven't seen any for sale yet.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Guys, there's also a low recoil option from Federal, but I haven't been able to find it in either Sportsman's Warehouse or the Bass Pro Shop here. Federal takes a different approach than Remington, at least for my .30-06. While Remington uses a 125gr bullet in their Managed Recoil, Federal uses a 170gr bullet in their offering.

Has anybody found any of the low-recoil Federals?
Old 11-24-2006, 06:39 PM

Yes, I mentioned both brands in my original post above...

Yep, I own a box or two , and they work fine. The heaver bullet is great for those who need the extra uumph behind their shot, but here in South Ark. the deer average about 120 or so pounds. So a straw with a spit wad would just about do the trick down here. But the results were basically the same as with the remington. Just a hair more bullet drop.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 PM

The Managed Recoil ammo is great for youngsters or the wife. Having said that, it shoots great, I have shot it in 30-06 and .270

Quick Reply: managed recoil ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.