HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Steyr 7mm Mag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/164926-steyr-7mm-mag.html)

onebadf250 11-13-2006 05:45 PM

Steyr 7mm Mag

I traded a buddy of mine a 44 mag pistol I haven't shot in 5 yearsfor a 2 year old Steyr 7mm Mag. It has a 25"barrel, black stock, black barrel. I've heard of steyr and I've even shot one a few times a fewyears back.It saysSBS 96 on the bolt. Anyone have any idea on how much these guns are new and how much this one may be worth used? Its 2 years old and looks near new condition.I know it has been shot but not very much. The bolt doesn't have any fireing marks on it. My bro inlaw has a 30-06 in one and he likes it.

How does it compare to a Tikka? I just bought a tikka 300wsm and I think I like it better just going on feel. Was thinking of selling/trading this one in on a tikka 7mm-08 or something a little smaller in caliber.

Thanks.

BrutalAttack 11-13-2006 06:06 PM

RE: Steyr 7mm Mag

ORIGINAL: onebadf250

I traded a buddy of mine a 44 mag pistol I haven't shot in 5 yearsfor a 2 year old Steyr 7mm Mag. It has a 25"barrel, black stock, black barrel. I've heard of steyr and I've even shot one a few times a fewyears back.It saysSBS 96 on the bolt. Anyone have any idea on how much these guns are new and how much this one may be worth used? Its 2 years old and looks near new condition.I know it has been shot but not very much. The bolt doesn't have any fireing marks on it. My bro inlaw has a 30-06 in one and he likes it.

How does it compare to a Tikka? I just bought a tikka 300wsm and I think I like it better just going on feel. Was thinking of selling/trading this one in on a tikka 7mm-08 or something a little smaller in caliber.

Thanks.

Looks like your gun is the SBS ProHunter Model Magnum.

MSRP is $991 and in 95% condition it's worth about $650.

shooter444 11-23-2006 07:55 PM

Take it out and shoot it first. I have one in 7x64 and love it! It took me over 3 years just to find one.

Chantecler111 11-23-2006 08:06 PM

I know some of the local police depts. around here have Steyr's for the sniper teams.

BrutalAttack 11-23-2006 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

I know some of the local police depts. around here have Steyr's for the sniper teams.
That's probably the tactical elite. He has one of the "sporting rifles".

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=622

Chantecler111 11-23-2006 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

That's probably the tactical elite. He has one of the "sporting rifles".

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=622

Thats the one, don't how accuracy is, though.

onebadf250 11-23-2006 08:30 PM

I ended up trading the steyr mentioned above in fora Tikka .308 andscope. Theyoffered me $700 on trade and I almost threw it at them across the counter.I already have a 300wsm and a 270. The steyr was a very nice gun but for the kind of hunting I do it was just to much gun..not caliber but gun..(Well caliber to really). It was heavy and the barrel was 26+ inches long. What little bit of rifle hunting I do (outside of mybowhunting)I'm usually sitting in a shooting house and getting a 26" barrel out the window and being quiet can be a little bit of a dilema. When I'm on a stalk hunt I want something a little lighter that isn't such a tool to carry.That steyr was just to big.

I have looked at those tactical models w/a long relief scope mounted about half way up the barrel. Thats got to be a dog hunters dream gun. That would be a great gun for a deer drive.

Chantecler111 11-23-2006 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: onebadf250

I ended up trading the steyr mentioned above in fora Tikka .308 andscope. Theyoffered me $700 on trade and I almost threw it at them across the counter.I already have a 300wsm and a 270. The steyr was a very nice gun but for the kind of hunting I do it was just to much gun..not caliber but gun..(Well caliber to really). It was heavy and the barrel was 26+ inches long. What little bit of rifle hunting I do (outside of mybowhunting)I'm usually sitting in a shooting house and getting a 26" barrel out the window and being quiet can be a little bit of a dilema. When I'm on a stalk hunt I want something a little lighter that isn't such a tool to carry.That steyr was just to big.

I have looked at those tactical models w/a long relief scope mounted about half way up the barrel. Thats got to be a dog hunters dream gun. That would be a great gun for a deer drive.
I don't like a 26" tube, unless I'm shooting a rifle chambered for a Weatherby Magnum or an Ultra Magnum.