Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Weatherby sub-moa?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default Weatherby sub-moa?

Ireally want to get a .300win mag so ive been looking around and really like the sub-moa, just want to hear some thoughts( have read mixed reviews on it). Want it for long range hunting, i now the tikkas shot great but i just dontlike them, any suggestions would be great.thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:39 PM

Default RE: Weatherby sub-moa?

Haven't had any first experience with the weatherby sub-moa but I hear they are a fairly decent rifle. Have shot a .300 win mag tikka though and man does that think kick like a mule.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally if I wanted a vanguard,I would buy the regular vanguard and save the extra money they charge for the sub moa.Most vanguards shoot very well anyways.If you really want an accuracy guarantee,then pay the extra cash for the sub moa or look at the sako rifles.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Sub-MOA is anythingbut. Don't waste your money. Get a good Remington 700 and you'll never regret it. Other option may be the Remington 700P LTR in .300 RSAUM.

It is a new cartridge and they have a 190 gr. load that just has guady numbers and it will only get better as they develop more loads.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Other option may be the Remington 700P LTR in .300 RSAUM.

It is a new cartridge and they have a 190 gr. load that just has guady numbers and it will only get better as they develop more loads.
The 300rsaum is not a new cartridge.it was introduced to compete with the 300wsm,but sales were so bad that it is being phased out.It has already been dropped from several models in favour of the 300wsm.They won't be developing more loads for this dying cartridge,in fact it is more likely that this cartridge will soon be dropped all together.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Other option may be the Remington 700P LTR in .300 RSAUM.

The 300rsaum is not a new cartridge.it was introduced to compete with the 300wsm,but sales were so bad that it is being phased out.It has already been dropped from several models in favour of the 300wsm.They won't be developing more loads for this dying cartridge,in fact it is more likely that this cartridge will soon be dropped all together.

Muzzle

Remington® Express®
190 BTHP Match

Energy (ft-lbs)

Cartridge Type
Bullet
Muzzle

Remington® Express®
190 BTHP Match
only drops -6.9 inches at 300 yards

With those numbers I seriously doubt it will be leaving anytime soon. It's right up there with the WSM. If Hornady took up the torch it would outperform the WSM. Even if it does fade into obscurity,we all know the best cartridges never make it into the mainstream half the time (25-06, 280, 340 weatherby etc etc). Like how many people realize the .375 RUM outperforms the .375 H&H? People would look at you like you had two heads.

A 7.5 lb 700 LTR in this cartridge would be a superb sub-MOAgun for any North American game. For only $800....
Old 10-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

With those numbers I seriously doubt it will be leaving anytime soon.
The only numbers Remington cares about are sales numbers.And that is why the 300rsaum has been dropped from several models in favor of the 300wsm.Why else would they drop their own creation for a cartridge released by winchester?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly would not waste the money on a sub moa version I would get the the regular vanguard because the way they came up with the sub moa line is out of every batch of rifles they have two piles the guns that shoot 1 moa or more go to the vanguard pile the ones that shoot .99 moa or better go to the sub moa pile. mind you they test these rifles with there test ammunition, they dont test with any other brands of ammo so essentially the sub moa rifle you would get will shoot sub moa with the test ammo they use at the factory but might shoot horribly with another brand of ammo then you might take a vanguard that shoots above 1 moa with their test ammo but might shoot sub moa with remington core lokts or other brands of ammo. you follow me here?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 AM

I HAVE A 300 WEATEHRBY VANGUARD. GREAT GUN ...SHOOTS ALL AMMO GREAT. FOR THE COST YOU CANNOT BEAT. I THINK you will get the accuracy you are looking for

KICKS LIKE A MULE. THAT IS MY ONLY COMPLAINT

my gun is not the sub moa

sorry for the caps
Old 10-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

The Vanguard is a solid rifle. What alot of guys leave out when buying the Sub-Moa is the fact that you get a much better composite stock over the standard injection molded plastic stock that comes on the standard Vanguard. The price in my area for the blued/synthetic is $418 just about everywhere and the price on the blued/composite SUB-MOA is $649 at the local place I go. I doubt you could buy the standard model and put the same type of Bell & Carlson composite on it and have it bedded for less than the $649 for the SUB-MOA. If you don't care about the stock style I would buy the standard and add the cash saved to the amount you've set aside for a scope and mounts.

Quick Reply: Weatherby sub-moa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.