Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bonded Bullets

Old 09-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bonded Bullets

Ok. Got a tech question for you guys. What is the difference between a bonded and a jacketed bullet? Why are bonded bullets so much more finicky in my rifle.

Let me fill you in on my dilema. I bought a Win Mod70 Ultimate Shadow 300wsm a month or two ago.
My 1st box of bullets were 165gr fusions. Couldn't get them to group for nothing. So I tried some 150 Win Ballistic Tips. Shooting nickle groups at 100yds. I'm not a big ballistic fan though.
I bought what I thought were some 150gr Win XP3's the other day. Ended up being 165gr ballistic tips. I shot about 1/2 the box before I realized that the XP's were suppose to have a red tip on them. Took them back and gun shop gave me the right ones. Got them to the range and same thing as the fusions. All over the place. I put a few more ballistic tips in and back to nickle size groupings again.

So what gives with the bonded bullets? Why am I having issue's with them? What about ACCUBond bullets? Do they have the same principal behind them as the fusions and xp3's?

THANKS RH
Old 09-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bonded Bullets

The xp3 is not considered a bonded bullet.The front portion of the bulletis copper like a barnes bullet,but the rear of the bullet includes a separate core.The accubond and interbond are bonded bullets.Basically they are constructedvery much the same as a ballistic tip but the core is bonded to the jacket.You might very well find that one of these two bullets shoots well in your gun.I should also mention that just because a gun doesn't shoot well withone load with a certain bullet,doesn't mean that the gun will not shoot well with that bullet.If you were to try a different load using the same bullet,it might be very accurate.Accuracy is dependent on the bullet/powder combination.Sometimes a gun simply will not shoot well with a given bullet,but that is not always the case.In fact sometimes the verysame bullet but in a different weight,will shoot very differently.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

I concurr with you stubblejumper. My dad does alot of reloading for pistols.Its amazing how the same bullet w/a blue dot load shoots completley diff than the same bullet and a unique powder load.

I don't really care to reload for this rifle yet. I may have to before its over with. The only thing about the accubond is the only factory load I can find for it is in 180grs. Thats to much bullet for whitetails...I know your thinking...well 300wsm is to much gun period for wt....but I've always wanted a big bore gun so I got one.I may take itcaribou orbear hunting one day.I think I'm going to try the 165gr fed NP's and see how they do. My biggest motive is to get away from the ballistic tips. Though a devistating round when put in the right spot I've seen a few pore performances out of them in thepast when they contacted bone or brush in front of the animal. Plus if they hit a rib or something and explode they can mess some meat up.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that federal lists a 165gr solid base for the 300wsm.The solid base does hold together better than the ballistic tip.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know several guys who use the 180 AB out of 300 wm and wsms, they have performed flawlessly on deer in both close and longer range situations. I certainly don't think a 180is to much for whitetail in the .308 cartridges.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

IMO The 180 is the very best bullet for deer from any of the 300 Mags. The 180 will usually do less meat damage than the lighter bullets at higher velocities. I have used the 180 Hornady innerlock with good results for deer with the 300 Win Mag.