HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Feedback on Nikon Omega Scopes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/153868-feedback-nikon-omega-scopes.html)

Gut Check 08-27-2006 08:59 PM

Feedback on Nikon Omega Scopes

I have a TC Encore 50 cal. and am looking for a scope. Nikon has the Omega scope designed for Muzzleloaders. You are supposed to sight the scope in at 100 yards and there are other marks for 125, 150, 200, & 250. This is using 150 grams of gun powder and a 250 grain bullet. One thing that concerns me is that each gun is different so how accurate can these reference marks be?

I plan on keeping this gun for life but you are limited to what else you can put the gun on and different types of bullets and amount of powder.

Has anyone had any experience with this scope yet? I know it is new but and feedback would be appreciated before dropping $250-300 on a scope.

Anthony T. 08-27-2006 11:17 PM

RE: Feedback on Nikon Omega Scopes

I wont lie to you dude. My cousin just put one on his omega and its hitting big tomatoes at 150 and 200 dead on. Im bout to throw one on my omega. Theyre awesome and recommended by me. havent shot 250 yet but id say its as good as the other distances.

pipecrew 08-29-2006 08:02 PM

The Omega scope is also designed or tested out of a 28 inch Omega barrel. My Encore has a 26 inch barrel. The new ProHunter muzzlelaoder barrels are 28 inches. I'm not into ballistics too much but I'm guessing the rate of twist in the Omega and Encore are the same. Question is: Would a 2 inch shorter barrel make a big difference is accuracy? I don't know. I know I have been looking at the Omega scopes and think I'll probably get one eventually. You might try emailing Nikon to ask if the shorter barrel would make any difference. Personally, I think it would be minimal if at all.
As far as Nikon scopes go, I have4 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have a Buckmasters, 2 Monarchs,which I love and I just picked up a camo Prostaff for acarbine muzzleloader. They are great scopes and are very, very clear. My buddy is a huge Leupold guy. Their scopes are nice but the Monarchs light transmission is a little better than the VXI's. I actually just sold my VXI so I could mount a Monarch on my Browning BAR.
Anyway, if you decide to buy an Omega scope I've seen them about $20-$30 cheaper on eBay so don't pay $250, you can get them cheaper. Let us know how you make out. With 2 young kids running around my house it will probably be next season before I get an Omega scope.

Mike

Gut Check 08-29-2006 11:23 PM

I went ahead and purchased the Omega this evening. I mounted it but didn't have a chance to test it out yet. I will give you my feedback after I get a chance. It will probably be late next week as I have a busy rest of the week and am heading to the Lake for the Labor Day weekend.

I am also a big fan of Nikon products. I have the buckmaster, rangefinder, and binoculars and am very impressed with their optics. They are not cheap by no means but they are the best value for the money and rank right up there against higher priced scopes IMO.

Anthony T. 08-30-2006 01:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Gut Check

I went ahead and purchased the Omega this evening. I mounted it but didn't have a chance to test it out yet. I will give you my feedback after I get a chance. It will probably be late next week as I have a busy rest of the week and am heading to the Lake for the Labor Day weekend.

I am also a big fan of Nikon products. I have the buckmaster, rangefinder, and binoculars and am very impressed with their optics. They are not cheap by no means but they are the best value for the money and rank right up there against higher priced scopes IMO.
I'm also a fan of nikon. I cant tell any difference in them and the leupold rifleman scopes. My vx-III's seem a little more clear, but are also 300 more dollars. I think a nikon is all the hunter needs.

pipecrew 08-30-2006 08:11 PM

Good move buying the Omega. Looks like we've found some die hard Nikon fans. I forgot to mention I have a pair of Monarch ATB 8X42 binoculars that I am extremely happy with. I recently compared them with my buddy's older Swaro's. I'm not trying to bash Swaro's optics because they are top of the line, but I didn't see $700 or $800 worth of difference.
Anyway I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip to the range with your new Omega scope.

Mike

DetLieut 09-02-2006 01:59 PM

I just purchased a new Pro Hunter and picked up the Omega scope for it. It will be mounted and sighted in by Tuesday (weather permitting here in NJ)
This is the first Nikon optic I have purchased.

GotstaHunt 09-12-2006 10:27 PM

I just purchased an Omega to mount on my T/C Encore .50 cal... Can't wait to try it out.

Gundigest 09-16-2006 10:34 AM

I looked though the omega scopeat Jays one day. I would not put one on my gun. Nikon makes good scopes but the recticle is to thin. In low light situations it will be very hard to take a shot. I prefer heavier cross hairs so that I know I can see them.

Carpmaster 09-17-2006 04:27 PM

They sound like they are the cats A$$.....I really want to take a look through one and see what they look like....sure is a solid concept...