Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment.... >

Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment....

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment....

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/SPRINGFIELD45AUTO002.jpg
the above is a mil spec SA 1911 new price was $599.00
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/newupgradedsa001.jpg
Now finished will all the upgrades by myself maybe another $70.00 added
trigger breaks 2 1/2 lbs
new Chip Mccormick sear and combat hammer
colt commander grip safety 80's series
cylinder and slide sear spring
Wilson combat hammer
EGW oversize pin stop
all new wolf springs also 19 lb MSH spring
I purchase this mil spec a few months back funny thing it was a toss uo between the mil spec or the Taurus 1911 .The dealer was asking $625 for the Taurus yes it was a nice 1911 seem I looked at a few and this to me was the best yet:I could not see going for the the Taurus over the mil spec at that price.
I have to say I have over a 1,000 rounds threw it and not one problem
I may have paid a few dollars more only because the NM serial number there are no marking made in brazil
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stevea

Am I missing something? I read the posts and it appears that everyone likes their Taurus handguns very much. Along comes Taurus offering their version of a 1911 and all of a sudden it is as if Taurus has developed leprosy!
The words "Taurus" and "1911" should never be uttered in the same sentence. [:'(]
Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: stevea

Am I missing something? I read the posts and it appears that everyone likes their Taurus handguns very much. Along comes Taurus offering their version of a 1911 and all of a sudden it is as if Taurus has developed leprosy! IMHO, my Taurus 1911 is a firearm worth MUCH more than the asking price. To get a SA 1911 with all of the "custom" features the Taurus 1911 has you would have to pay a bundle! And I do mean a bundle!

That was my understanding about the PT1911. For just a little more than a milspec Springfield you can get the Taurus with $2000 worth of "aftermarket gunsmith upgrades"
Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot several examples of the new taurus 1911s and feel that you ain't gunna get a better gun for 500 dollars. They all shot flawlessly,very accurate,and have all the bells and whistles to make a custom fitted 1911 base for very little more money.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: reelhook

Why does everyone think that a Springfield that is made in a no-name plant in Brazil is better than aTaurus that is completely forged and made in a quality plant in brazil???Check out the featurs on a Taurus and then go shoot one and then open your mouth

I hate to resurrect an old thread like this on my first post, but I found it when I was doing a Google search and registered just to take exception to the above post.

The Imbel plant in Brazil has been making FN licensed, Browning designedfirearms on forged receivers for a very, very long time.
They are hardly a "no name" plant, if you know the names.
That being said, I just picked up one of the 2-tone, 3-dot PT1911s today, and will report back after I've put a few hundred rounds of 200 gr cast SWCs and some Hydra-Shoks through it. I got to compare it to an earlier one, and it looks like they're learning...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have passed on the Kimber waited, saved and boughta Baer. WELL worth the extra money.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys - I see this is an old post too but I have to put in my 2 cents. Lord knows I have quite a pocket full of them by buying a PT1911 instead of a Kimber or Springfield or other 1911.
About the only thing that disappointed me about the Taurus PT1911 was the finish. But that disappointment went away the first time at the range. Once I got accustomed to the figure 8 sight picture this pistol put shot after shot into one ragged hole at 25 meters. An 8 round magazine full would shoot one hole 1" high about 1 1/2" in diameter. Then, after buying a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips for it, the accuracy was even better - better than I can shoot it.
I have put about 700-800 rounds through this pistol and haven't had a misfeed, stove pipe or other malfunction yet.
The PT1911 a disappointment? Not mine.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

I had and shot several more tauruses all revolvers and was basicly unimpressed the 357 mod 66 shot great w 38s I mean
6 for 6 inside of 6 at 50 yrds . With 357s or handloads that were faster than 950 fps the shots scatered .
Can't knock reliablity opened and closed and went bang every time .

I did put about 250 rnds through an SA 1911 that was not clean and had no issues with it shooting 230 plain cast and XTP's. It cut 2" groups that touched cast and XTPfrom full clips to empty mixed and straight .
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

I picked up a PT1911 in stainless for just over 5 bills early this year. Only two things I was disappointed with out of the box. The grips are crappy plastic, that was an easy initial fix. (I'm currently making myself a new set of grips out of some Hawaiian Koa Wood, though). It also definitely needed a thorough cleaning to remove machining fines, but even if it didn't, I would have done a thorough cleaning anyway as I always do on a new gun. Other than that, fit, finish, and operation have been fantastic. I love the Heinie straight-8 sights.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Just a newbee to this forum. Some great reads and helpful information.
My brother and I each picked up PT1911's about 2 years ago for around $500 each. After hundreds of rounds we have never had a problem. We both agree with the junk grips and after putting on a pair of Pierces' which were the best feel for both of us, we ended up with Crimson Trace grips which are game changing additions to any self defense pistol.
The only complaint we had was the trigger which was heavy (70oz),long and a touch gritty. These are Series 80 design pistols. Following the gentle use of Brownells trigger and sear jig and ceramic stones the grittiness went away and the pull dropped to 48oz. We installed the Series 80 to Series 70 plate (also available from Brownells) which eliminated the creep of the Series 80 design. We also installed a Titanium firing pin to make it 'California safe'. The final trigger is niceand crisp at 44oz.

Some of the internals are MIM and will get replaced if they ever show wear, but they are well made and I expect no problems from them. The pistolsare designed for the entry level market and don't claim to be a Les Baer, but ours both willput a clip into what I consider one large ragged hole, every time we pull the trigger with any ammo we feed them. We're very happy with them and would recomend them to any one for a rough use and practice. For $500 I don't feel bad about throwing it in the glovebox or carrying it in the fields and shops while working.

I enjoyed the comment above about the used tooling. Taurus and Imbel are both old and well established organizations. Imbel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMBEL) is state owned and arms most of South America.Neither use old tooling. Having spent a lot of time in Rio Grand Dul Sul, Brasil, I have had the opportunity to visit both. Taurus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_(manufacturer)) is a huge company with a strong global presence in steel forgings, investment casting and Metal Injection Molding (MIM). They also hav a machine tool group - Wotan- which builds world class CNC equipment. The low cost for these pistols is the vertically integrated company who machinestheir own forgings on their own machines to very tight tolerances. Their quality systems meet the strict automotove requirements in the world.Parts from their foundry forge shops are in virtually every vehicleon the road. That is why they are very comfortable offerring an unlimitedlifetime warranty for thier pistols.

Quick Reply: Taurus 1911: what a dissappointment....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.