HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Shotgun Problem... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/144687-shotgun-problem.html)

mustad 06-09-2006 05:48 PM

Shotgun Problem...

Hi,

I'm seeing a significant difference in my performance between my two shotguns.

One is a Benelli M1 Super 90 and the other is a Ruger Red Label O/U. Both 12 gauge.

I have been using the Benelli for waterfowl and the Ruger for upland game. I have also been using both in trap shoots. So far, I have seen I shoot MUCH better with the Ruger. I've been using an Improved Cylinder choke in the Benelli and the same along with a Modified in the Ruger. The one thing I have noticed is the that the Ruger fits better for me. I've been looking into what it would take to change the stock and forearm of the Benelli to give a little more customizability into it and I'm seeing a price point of about $ 500.

Do you think I should go ahead and try to change this gun or go ahead and trade it in for something new or keep working on trying to figure out how I can modify my approach to shoot it better?

Thanks,

Totemkopf 06-09-2006 06:14 PM

RE: Shotgun Problem...

I would spend sometime patterning the benelli with a few different chokes before I contemplated changing the stock.

TerryM 06-09-2006 07:58 PM

If I had a shotgun that didn't fit me I wouldn't keep it, simple as that. Its too important in a shotgun. But I thought the Benelli's had adjustable stocks with shims? Maybe its Beretta that have that. Anyway shoot what fits and hits where you point it. Remington has a new model out that looks interesting also.

Rammer 06-09-2006 10:39 PM

Yes the Benellis have interchangeable stock shims, and that is where I would start. IF that fails and patterning fails, then its time to sell the gun an get something that fits or have some custom stock work done.

mustad 06-10-2006 03:48 AM

Yes, the gun came with some shims (4 or 5). I've tried them and still am finding the gun not to work for me. In fact, even with the most extreme shim, I'm still patterning low.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Rammer 06-10-2006 08:25 AM

Beretta Autos are the same way to me. No matter how I shim them, can't get them to "fit" me right, pattern never hits where it is supposed to. I traded off my Beretta and got another Benelli (its almost like Benelli made them just for me).

PurcellSportingGoods 06-10-2006 08:31 AM

a buddy of mine had a similar issue with his Benelli.......gotta go with whats comfortable...

Rebel Hog 06-10-2006 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: mustad

Do you think I should go ahead and try to change this gun or go ahead and trade it in for something new or keep working on trying to figure out how I can modify my approach to shoot it better?

Thanks,
Until you go to a shop thatspecializes in fitting you for, Drop in Heel, Length of Pull, Cast Off, Cast ON and other factors for shotgunners, you will be trading and selling all your life. It's not the Shot Gun, it's you!

mustad 06-10-2006 05:37 PM

Rebel,

I appreciate where you are coming from. Could you give me some techniques I should work on that would help me shoot better with the gun? For a long time, I was convinced of your viewpoint; until I tried my Ruger. Then I said, wait a minute... why am I shooting one gun so much better than the other.

I can't accept that I would need to go through such an extensive process (and costly) as you describe only to improve my percentage of ducks I put in the freezer. But right now, I'm a bit at a loss.

Thanks,

Rebel Hog 06-10-2006 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mustad

Rebel,

I appreciate where you are coming from. Could you give me some techniques I should work on that would help me shoot better with the gun? For a long time, I was convinced of your viewpoint; until I tried my Ruger. Then I said, wait a minute... why am I shooting one gun so much better than the other.

I can't accept that I would need to go through such an extensive process (and costly) as you describe only to improve my percentage of ducks I put in the freezer. But right now, I'm a bit at a loss.

Thanks,
Dan, I'm not saying you don't know how to shoot, no offence intended. When I say it's you, I meant the fit from one shotgun to the other, not your ability to shoot.

Dan, I see it on the Skeet Range all the time. There are people that you see with adifferent shotgunall the time. All they have to do is go to a shop that will tellthem what they need for that shotgun to fit them to a tee.

Seems that the Ruger has the measurements that fit you best.I have seen some shooters that have had to have their $6000 Perrazzi stocks worked on for more Cast.