Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Bushnell Banner or simmons pro hunter? >

Bushnell Banner or simmons pro hunter?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Bushnell Banner or simmons pro hunter?

Old 05-29-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Bushnell Banner or simmons pro hunter?

Hi guys, here is the situation. I have a remington 700 bdl 30-06 that I used to use as a kid and now have a kid of my own going to hunt the year after next. I was looking for a decent shooter for 100$ or less and kinda were looking at these two. I remember banging around my scopes when i was twelve and didn't want anything high end for him to start with. Maybe after he has hunted a few years we could buy him a vx-2 or something. Can anyone suggest one of these scopes or another straight shooter for a 100$ or less?
Old 05-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Bushnell Banner or simmons pro hunter?

You should be able to get a bushnell trophy for that price or maybe a hair more. They are a bit better scope than the banners are.

If you are setting up a high powered rifle for a kid make sure the scope has enough eye relief and is set up so it won't smack him in the head when he fires it.

Paul
Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have heard nothing but good tghings about the new Pro Hunter scopes. That would be the Master Series. Guns and Ammo tasted them in 12 Ga slug guns without a failure. The Trophy is a better scopes than the Banner for just a little more money.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Banned

I myself would save my money and get something better...I have found that you get what you pay for. The Bushnell Legend is a better scope if you want to go cheap.. http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=BH& amp;category=20&subCategory=20&catLevel=1& amp;prodID=BH753940M&CFID=3160343&CFTOKEN= 78660688
Here are the prohunters that are in your price range...like James said, these are getting some good reviews, Meade corporation now owns Simmons, Redfield, and Weaver. http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=categoryMain&brand=SN&a mp;category=20&mfggroup=0&subCategory=20&a mp;catLevel=1&searchItem=&startRow=201&amp ;CFID=3160343&CFTOKEN=78660688
Old 05-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bushnell is always good value for the money and around here anyway has excellent service. Never owned a Simmons but have never been impressed with them when looking at them. Have you considered buying a used Leupold?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Spike

I'd like to put in a plug for the Nikon scopes.

I picked up a 3x9x40 at Walmart for $150. Its on my .308. I have a nikon 2x30 on my Super Redhawk .454 and it survives the pounding with no problem. And I just mounted a 2x7x30 on my new 336C. I have every faith in these nikons. Walmart and ebay.

Just my $.02

Blue
Old 05-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: medicblue
And I just mounted a 2x7x30 on my new 336C.
How do you like the variable scope on the 30-30? I had an old 4x32 scope on mine, but it broke and lost its zero, so I said "the heck with it" and stripped it down to plain iron sights.

I don't know... somehow I kinda like the ol' 30-30 with iron sights. I hunt heavy timber and thickets where there is no way I'd get a 100 yard shot - heck not even a 50 yard shot!

I see Bushnell makes a nice Dusk & Dawn 1.5-4.5 x 32 scope which would be pretty cool on my 30-30, but I don't know if I should bother scoping it again.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Spike

I like it a lot, I have it mounted on a Weaver see thru mount for similar reasons, ie I get pretty close. But I wanted the scope for longer and more precise shots when I was left with only those options. I went with the smaller objective lense so it wouldn't interfere with the field of vision. I JUST got it so I haven't tested my theories yet. I'll keep it at 2x unless..........
Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 AM

Paul, I just looked through a bushnell trophy and really liked what i saw. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's my viewpoint on the low powered scopes. Mount 'em if you like 'em....

{not to highjack this thread, but...}
...allow me to show some photos of my old Marlin 30-30. I used to have an old
Glenfield 4x32 scope on a low weaver base as you see.

But somehow, someway, the scope lost its "zero" and the rounds would go
all over the place, no matter what I tried to do to the windage and
elevation knobs.

So.... I decided to say "the heck with it" and strip down the Marlin 30-30
to plain iron sights. It looks a little better and more classic, IMHO. I like
the feel of it and how I can just whip it right up, and I'm instantly on the
sights. I did take some weird, glow in the dark, clear drying phospherous
paint and dab it on the gold bead, so it now glows when it starts getting
to be dusk and nighttime.

Some people like to scope a 30-30, others don't. I'm still undecided if I
should get the Bushnell Banner Dusk 'n Dawn 1.5-4.5 x 32 small scope for
it again. What do you think?

Butch A.

Quick Reply: Bushnell Banner or simmons pro hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.