Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

SAKO Rifles

Old 05-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SAKO Rifles

I have a SAKO HUNTER in .30-06 this was back when STOGER was importing them, there warehouse was 5 mins from my home. Now that Berreta took over SAKO I think the quality went down hill
Old 05-31-2006, 04:34 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

I have a SAKO HUNTER in .30-06 this was back when STOGER was importing them, there warehouse was 5 mins from my home. Now that Berreta took over SAKO I think the quality went down hill
I hear people say this alot. I don't have a berreta sako. I have a stoger one. I just wonder if there is any truth to this. Anyone have one of the new ones and don't like it? Any quality issues? I am looking at a few greywolfs now. I just wonder if alot of people like me just assume thier quality went downhill.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Sako 75 Varmint in .223 about 3 weeks ago, a Beretta import. It had been on the rack at Scheels for well over a year. The action is butter, fit looks good, free floated. I am trying to find a load it likes. My only real dissapointment was that I could not get Federal Premium 69 grainers into a tight group. It did better with 55 and 45 (!) grainers, and it has a 1:8 twist. I emailed Beretta customer service and asked what load they test this rifle on, and Beretta did not know. Duh. It spends most of its time printing 3/4 of an inch. I hope to do better, and should with the stiff barrel. Anyway, that is where it is at for now.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't bought a Sako since Beretta acquired the company, but unlesssomeone has personal experience to the contrary, there's simply no reason to believe the quality has gone south. Personally, considering Beretta's vast resources and history of making fine firearms, I tend to think qualitymight evenbe somewhat better now.

Customer service, however, might be something else. Beretta does not have a very good reputation in this area, at least not on internet talk forums. I have no personal experience with it other than when I had to order some new ring screws for my Optilock mounts. The guy I talked to was courteous and the screws arrived in a timely manner, but my God,$4.00 for each screw?Over $30for8 little screws?Talk about robbery.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now that Berreta took over SAKO I think the quality went down hill
Nothing could be farther from the truth. I have a Sako 75 built in NOv 2005 and it is built just the same as every other Sako I have ever owned. Now Beretta customer service that is a different issue. Luckily if you buy a Sako you may only have to deal with them concerning rings and bases.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:28 AM
bigcountry

OEH, your the guy who got it my head that quality "MIGHT" or "PROBABLY" would change.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like solitary man said the quality might even be better based on what I see with this new one. I was a little concerned when the barrel issue occured but heck it could and has happened with other brands as well when a defective process or batch of material comes into play. I won't buy any other brand of rifle except maybe a Kimber anymore. Spend the money up front and buy quality unfortunately everyone looks at price but in the long run a cheap gun is an expensive gun, better to have one good rifle then a dozen half-assed rifles. On the other hand we have some gunsmiths that need to stay in business so keep them busy and buy Remington,Ruger and Winchester(RIP).
Old 06-01-2006, 09:37 AM
bigcountry

You got me interested in the greywolf. Was your purchase with this MD guy acceptable?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

yep he is a great guy to deal with ask for Gary when you call there. YOu can tell him my name and use me as a referral.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

That Sako Grey Wolf is sure a heck of a beautiful rifle from what I’ve seen in the pictures but I don’t think I’d be able to use that rifle for hunting...

Quick Reply: SAKO Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.