Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

A good overall rifle

Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Default RE: A good overall rifle

Only get a WSM if you want a more compact, short action rifle. That is their only true advantage. If you're planning on making farther shots, go with a 7mm Rem Mag and get some 140 or 150 grain bullets. If you're not planning on shooting at long distances (300+ yards), either 30-06 or 7mm will do just dandy. Focus on how much you like the rifles they are offered in instead.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Snpier151, good choice! I have an adl in 30-06 and I love it! I would get a CDL in 7mm mag to accompany it if I had the dough. EJ
Old 04-19-2006, 05:53 PM

Remington 700's are great guns, but I can't stand the ADL model. I had a mint Remington 700 Deluxe ADL in 7mm Rem Mag two years ago, and I couldn't stand not having a floor plate to unload the shells in the magazine. I'm much happier with my new Ruger MKII. But that's just my opinion. Some people obviously don't mind not having the floor plate.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd forget the 7wsm, I think it is most likely to disappear of the wsm's you mention. If you want a 7mm/short action the proven 7mm 08 is a great choice! If deer are your main quarry I'd skip the 325wsm, just not required or what I'd consider a great all arounder. I think it will bestick as pack gun or light combo for the bear/elk/moose hunter - the ability to handle a 8mm bullet in a smaller package is very attractive to these type of hunters.

The rest are solid choices. The only one that may cause a little grief is the 270wsm for larger game factory ammo. However it is gaining steam &seems to be adding yearly to whats being factory loaded.This would only be a concern if you plan on hunting elk regularily & finding such ammo locally is a chore. For deer no worries!

3006, 7mm rem mag & 300wsm will do everything upto big bears in NA with no problems, excellent all arounder cartridges. Ammo is readily available for all. The 06 will be the cheapest and offerslightly lessrecoil of these 3. However the 300 and 7mm rem mag are tolerable by most shooters in terms of felt recoil.

Personally the 7mm rem mag stuck as my all arounder choice, no problems with Antelope through Moose. My experience has been extremely easy to find accuracy with a cross section of bullets.

As far as rifles go with personal fit, feel and features, first and foremost. These are what make a rifle stay in your cabinet vs classified ads!! Small things can easily be done after to maximize if you desire. I would look at the Savage with Accutrigger, 700 Rem SPS, Howa/weatherby vangaurd, etc. Allhave beennoted as reliable/affordable rifles.

Best of luck and enjoy
Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 700's are great guns, but I can't stand the ADL model. I had a mint Remington 700 Deluxe ADL in 7mm Rem Mag two years ago, and I couldn't stand not having a floor plate to unload the shells in the magazine.
That is adressed with the SPS which replaced the ADL line. Now available with hinged floor plates or Detachable Mag.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you just want a deer caliber then i'd opt for a Remington 25.06. If you'll be hunting other game like Elk i'd go with the 30.06 or 7MM....Remington of course!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The old 30-06 is as good as ever and can be found in very cheap prices. One just sold with a Redfield 4X scope in Siren Wisconsin for $365. It was a Husquarna on an FN Mauser action.....excellent checkered stock.....a bit old but in no way a poor buy......actually a superb buy and there's more out there.

Dirt cheap and so is the ammo and it just plain works!!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mudtutl

I'm pretty happy with my new Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06. On sale for just over $500 for the laminate stock and stainless model. I put a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 on top. It's huntin' accurate enough for me. I'm good for everything from Elk and bear to praire goats, and ammo is easy to find in numerous flavors.
Is a prairie goat like a mountain goat? I have never heard of a prairie goat before? I have hunted mountain goats to billies, but never a prairie goat before.....
Old 04-21-2006, 06:34 AM

Prairie goat is Montana slang for pronghorn, or antelope. Speed goat is another colorful descriptive for the critter.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

a good all around rifle is a 30.06. here is wisconsin, you can get ammo anywhere for it. Another suggestion would be the 7mm-08. That has quickly become my favorite for deer.

Quick Reply: A good overall rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.