Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Burris Scopes?

Old 03-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Burris Scopes?

I am looking into a new scope for my Savage 110 7mm RM and Burris scopes seem like a good deal. A local gunstore told me they make good scopes but have horrible customer service. Anyone know anything about that? Aguy I knowwho works at BassPro told me they were fine. I also like the Ballistic Plex, there are several loads that aren't much more than a inch off at any of the ranges listed. I know this isn't totally exact, and I would have to do some expierementing, but the guy at BassPro told me he could handload me some shells to match the ballistics needed, also a plus. Among other things, he told me Burris is a better buy than Leupold for the money. I've never had much expirience with either, so I was hoping you guys could help me out. For $250 I could have a 4-14x40 and some new Leupold bases and rings, since the ones with my package deal weren't very good. I thought this was a pretty nice deal, especially with the Ballistic Plex.
Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Burris Scopes?

I also like the Ballistic Plex, there are several loads that aren't much more than a inch off at any of the ranges listed. I know this isn't totally exact, and I would have to do some expierementing,
If and that is a big if,you can find loads that match the ballistic plex,it will help a great deal with holdover.However as a range estimating tool,the ballistic plex isn't a whole lot better than a guesssince game animalsvary so much in size.The only practical andtruly accurate tool for range estimation for huntingis the laser rangefinder.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:01 PM

The Fullfield is alot of scope for the money. These scopes are made by Penatx in Japan so quality is high. But I really love the Burris Signature series. It is a much better scope, and I think it is US made (but probably has japanese lenses). It is more expensive though, around 400 bucks for the same power range.
The price range you are talking about is very competitive. You have your choice of Nikon, Leupold VX2, Sighton SII, Bushnell Elite 3200, etc. All of these scopes can be found in the 200-300 dollor range.
I know from experience that Leupold's and Bushnell's service is a credit to the industry. I don't know about Burris. But I would think that they are fine.
Mr. Burris (Don I think) used to work for Redfield before he went out on his own to make Burris Savvy Optics.
Several outdoor writers, including Clair Reese, tout the quality of Burris.
okcmco
Old 03-20-2006, 11:13 AM

I've had to return two Burris scopes to the factory for repairs and had zero problems with their customers service. They've proven to me that they do stand behind their scopes.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have 3 Burris Fullfield II Scopes with Ballistic Plex reticles. The reason I have 3 is that I got one and liked it so much, I replaced a Leupold with one and got another for my new rifle.
These scopes are clear and my experience showed that the ballistic plex does work when used in conjunction with a range finder.
Also, the sighting in directions tell you to sight in per the chart (example; dead on at 100 yds for a 270, 130 gr bullet). You then (if you have the distance) fire a couple groups at 300 yds. You can then "tweak" the scope a little to minimize the +/- differences.
Again, from experience, the 270 needs very little tweaking, the 300 Win mag is also faily close using 180 bullets. I haven't had much chance to work on my 30-06 yet to see how the b-plex works.
Now to clarify something - the ballistic plex is not a range finder. It is to be used in conjunction with a range finder. Once the yardage is known, you use the appropriate reticle.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

personal experience with there customer serice makes me run the other way. why buy a scope so close in price to a leupolds vari x ii. do yourself a favor and skip a couple trips to mc donalds[:'(] and save your cash till your ready to buy the real deal.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have had at least 3 Burris 3x9x40mm scopes and have not had any problems with them and have used them for the last 5 or 6 years. Never paid any more than $167.00 for any of them, quite less expensive than leupold.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

I don't know about their customer service but I have 3 Fullfield II' and love them. Nice,bright clear optics and the ballistic plex is great for me. I bought the 4.5-14's and got free spotting scopes with the purchase.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:58 PM

In the past two years I have bought a new Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 and a new Leupold VXII 3-9x40. I like em both, but prefer the Leupold personally. Extra money is worth it.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:22 PM

I recently ordered a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex. When I received it, there was a sticker on it that said "Made in the Phillipines". I had always believed ALL Burris scopes were made in the USA. I was so disgruntled over it that I sent it back. I bought a Leupold instead. They are worth the extra $$ for sure!

Quick Reply: Burris Scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.