Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 What is the best self defense ammo??? >

What is the best self defense ammo???

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the best self defense ammo???

#2 shot out of a 12 gauge.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

BigBulls. Thanks for the tip. I will check those out.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any time.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Dominant Buck

357 Magnum ammo[align=center][/align]Very powerful ammunition, .357 Magnum ammo gives immensely high stoping power that's not typical for 9 mm ammunition. Excellent choice for self defense.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 PM

We have seen this question before, though it is interesting what everyone has to say. I will have to say for me, my philosophy has to go with shot placement. If you want indirect shot placement, anything from 00 buck 12 gauge to a well placed 45 ACP or GAP. For me, I load my own 9mm and 40 cal. personal defense loads, using a speer core like Federal has for its personal defense rounds. You can find retail ammo like the Federal hollow point speers out there, and it would be a great round for stopping power and controlled, intense damage. I would have no problem using my 9mm( there is a lot of people that think that its the round that won't do the job, but I beg to differ) or my 40 cal. to stopping an intruder or criminal trespasser that invokes bodily harm to me or my family. Yet, I always have my 12 gauge 3 inch 00 Buck Mags within reach too if needed, since I have run into trespassers, thiefs and poachers before on my land and my neighbors( since being a nurseryman and farmer, gas thefts have been on the rise). This subject can create other subjects on concealment, allowed space for the firearm, penetration, shot placement( which is very important that should not limit the caliber choice), and over penetration through hardscape like walls etc. In the end, and I know I rambled on, but choose from the 9mm, .357 Mag, .38 special, 40 cal., 10mm, 45 ACP and 45 Gap line of calibers. That would be my range if I was looking into personal defense calibers, and then debate what you are comfortable with. And hopefully, you won't have to use it and be safe darn it!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its all good but a 12 Ga shotgun is the way to go for home defence. A good pump loaded with #1 Buck shot. If some one comes in on you, you know your going to be nervis and shaking so what better to have then a shot gun. Plus if you are awaken in the night and still foggy and not quite awake your shooting ability won't be as good as usual and you may onlyu have that one shot. That my 2 cents. Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Extreme Shock ammo. It is way overpriced, but if it performs like they say it should be pretty good. I bought a box for my9mm and my .223. The .223 I shot at a honeydue melon at about 75 yards at it blew the crap out of it, pieces were scattered around about 20 feet. As for the 9mm, I shot one at about 20 yards and I hit the top of it and it blew it up good, but then before I could shoot again my friend and his .454 Casul with JHP shot it and there wasn't anything left of it.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 12 Gauge shotshell.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use .45 Hydro Shocks in my Ruger P97 and .38 Special Speer Gold Dot in my S&W snubbie.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 AM

http://www.adjunct.diodon349.com/Attack_on_USA/ammunition_for_the_selfdefense_firearm.htm

Quick Reply: What is the best self defense ammo???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.