Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

what a funny look...

Old 02-02-2006, 05:26 PM

Default what a funny look...

what a funny look i must have had on my face when the following occured.yesterday i went to the gunshop where i have ordered my encore 300winmag and 209-50,i went to purchase a 15" 45/70 for the encore.the lady asked if she could be of some help. i explained want i wanted,she raised her eyebrows at me and said"you can't do that",i proceeded to ask why,she said "thats against the law,you would be considered as building a firearm".this is when the funny looked appeared, i said "do what". she turns to another store rep and explains and he says that right its illegal. i proceeded with the "look" and asked well if this is illegal how come i can buyall barrels,grips,forearms and such from reputable dealers. she steps into a back room and returns to ask and what size barrel did you say you wanted,never to mention the illigal tuff again. so i assume that my stupid look either convinced her i was right or someone in the other rooms stupid look convinced her i was right. all i know ischalk one up for hr guys because i was right and SHE was WRONG.just so everyone knows i ordered the barrel somewhere else and did not get the dumb statement as before. must have been the guy i talked to at COAL CREEK ARMORY. these guys were great and i will return there for more.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what a funny look...

Just remember that with that 15" barrel you MUST use a pistol grip and not the shoulder butt stock other wise you will be illegal.

As far as those two people go....... Yes they are idiots.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a goofy ? why would you get a 45/70 in a 15" instead of the new Katandin(not even close I bet) factory barrels which are 18" barrels. Obviously I guess your planning on a 45-70 pistol if thats the case with the shorter barrel why not the 454Casual. I think that might be a better choice with a 15" barrel. IMHO

Im just looking for your opinion not stating your doing something wrong.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:49 PM

[blockquote]
I have a goofy ? why would you get a 45/70 in a 15" instead of the new Katandin(not even close I bet) factory barrels which are 18" barrels.

[/blockquote]
Becausethats what he wants
Old 02-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a goofy ? why would you get a 45/70 in a 15" instead of the new Katandin(not even close I bet) factory barrels which are 18" barrels.
Probably more like he wants a pistol chambered in the 45-70. If you have an 18" barrel is it considered a rifle and is illegal to be equiped with the pistol grip.

The cut off point where a long gun becomes a pistol and vice versa is 16 inches. Any barrel length over 16 inches is a long gun and any barrel length under is a hand gun. You can not equip a barrel greater than 16 inches with a pistol grip nor can you equip a barrel less than 16 inches with a shoulder stock.

For a shotgun it is 18 inches and there is no hand gun category for a shotgun. The barrel must be a minimum of 18 inches long regardless of what grip is installed.