HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   question about hunting handgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/131351-question-about-hunting-handgun.html)

geterdun 02-01-2006 05:39 PM

question about hunting handgun

hello,
i have a question about proper handguns for use in deer hunting. I heard that 357, 44 mag and a few others, but do yall have any other suggestion for a legal deer hunting handgun. I live in MD. Is it legal to use a semi auto? if so, please suggest a few of those - b/c i like semis alot more. I just have no idea of what type to get for hunting deer? please guide me along. thanks a million

bigbulls 02-01-2006 07:30 PM

RE: question about hunting handgun

First you need to check MD regulations concerning legally hunting with a hand gun. Many states require specific bullet diameters and specific energy levels at certain distances.

IE.......... Colorado requires a barrel length of at least 4 inches, a bullet diameter of .24" and have a minimum energy level of 550 foot pounds at 50 yards to hunt all big game except mountain lion which requires 400 foot pounds and a 45 grain bullet.

So the .357 magnum (all but the heaviest loads from Buffalo bore and Corbon) would be illegal for everything except for mountain lion in Colorado.

Having saind all that ;)................ I would reccomend a .44 mag to start and should I ever take up hand gun hunting I would most likely purchase something chambered in the 454 Cassul or possibly the .460 S&W or the 500 S&W.

As far as the gun itself goes it would be a revolver obviously. It would have at least a 7" barrel and as long as 10 inches. Brand name really doesn't matter all that much. Most all make exceptional revolvers. Ruger, S&W, Taurus, etc...

Roskoe 02-01-2006 09:10 PM

I too would suggest you forget the .357 Magnum. I have shot both deer and antelope with one, and it wasn't very impressive. The 44 Mag should work well; or the .45 Long Colt loaded in modern handgun like the Ruger Blackhawk. Some of these new super magnums look great on paper, but they have, for many shooters, fairly intimidating recoil.

I also had a little fling with the single shot pistols. Muzzle blast is impossible to take without ear protection. And after awhile, I starting thinking "why don't you just put a buttstock on it and be done with it?" That was the point at which I sold the Contender.

Ought Six 02-02-2006 10:35 AM

My favorite handgun for deer is a S&W 629 44 Magnum. I like to use a 240 grain Keith style bullet (Semi-Wadcutter) moving along at about 1500fps.

While practice is important when considering hunting with any type of firearm, it is much much more important with a handgun. Handguns are much harder shoot well than a rifle is. If you are the kinda guy who shoots very little, handgun hunting isnt for you.

Fat-Arrow 02-09-2006 09:43 AM

For hunting, I would say a 44 would be great!