HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Alaskan Wilderness Rifles? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/131303-alaskan-wilderness-rifles.html)

Pop! 02-01-2006 12:10 PM

Alaskan Wilderness Rifles?

What do you think of these guns? Are they worth the price (1400-1500)

Fat-Arrow 02-01-2006 01:18 PM

RE: Alaskan Wilderness Rifles?

The AWR looks like a real nice package, but my attention has turned to the 700 XCR. Should be just as weather resistent (if not better) and about half the price of the AWR. Check it out.

[link]http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR.asp[/link]\

The XCR is my next rifle purchase.

Fat-Arrow

Ought Six 02-01-2006 02:11 PM

With all due respect, one really cant compare a custom rifle with an off the shelf rifle, even if it is a Remington. The craftsmanship offered my AWR, Dakota, or Brown's is simply amazing. You get what you pay for.

bigbulls 02-01-2006 06:19 PM

IMHO no.

It is still a factory Remington 700. What you get for the added $1000 is a fiberglass stock, a bedding job, and teflon coating. Hardly worth an extra grand.

You can do the same thing to an existing 700 by purchasing an HS Precision stock ($276), get a trigger job ($50), and have it, the rings and bases, and the scope coated yourself ($260) and spend about half what you would spend on an AWR.

TerryM 02-01-2006 09:29 PM

I am no big fan of remingtons in general but I do own a custom shop model 7 in .350 rem mag and even weighing only 5 7/8 lbs with a 20" barrel that thing shoots as good as my Sako. I can shoot a hair over 1/2' MOA with hot hunting loads pushing 225 gr Partitions. The trigger is as good as anything around also. I definitely think they don't just pull an action and barrel out of the pile when they assemble a custom shop rifle.

Pop! 02-02-2006 09:05 AM

That is what I am trying to find out. Is it worth the exra $$$$?

Ought Six 02-02-2006 10:25 AM

Generally, custom shops dont use stock equipment. It may LOOK like a standard Remington 700, so does an M24 sniper rifle, but it isnt. Check them out, in other words call them. Whose trigger do they use? Is the action blue printed. Whose barrel is it? Is it a match grade barrel? Is it lapped? Is it cryo-ed? Is the striker tuned? Can you have the rifle custom fitted to you? In other words, why the hell are they charging what they are?

Yes, you can buy a stock rifle and have it gone over by a gunsmith. Have it bedded, trigger job, and so on. Most custom rifle shops warrant a certain amount of accuracy. There is no such promise with a stock rifle. Now, having said that, I have only bought a couple rifles that will not shoot less than 1" at 100 yards. Personally, if a rifle wont shoot 1/2" at 100 yards...well, I sell it. But, I am anal that way.

Superpig 02-02-2006 01:12 PM

I don't believe that they are. For the amount of money they cost you still don't get any kind of accuracy guarantee that I know of. If I were to spend that kind of money I would want an accuracy guarantee. I have many Remington's and with proper handloads all of them shoot under 1 MOA and 2 of mine go half of that in calibers larger that .224.

HeviShot 02-02-2006 08:26 PM

Get a Sendero in .300wm, .300rum or .338rum, itll cost half of that Alaskan and will indeed be very accurate.

bigiron 02-02-2006 08:37 PM

waste of money imo you could do the work like bigbulls said and have just as good of a rifle with enough left over for a scope also like said try the xcr if your looking to tame the weather