Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Alaskan Wilderness Rifles? >

Alaskan Wilderness Rifles?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Alaskan Wilderness Rifles?

Old 02-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alaskan Wilderness Rifles?

You need to realize that the AWR has an action, bolt and barrel made of 416 stainless all of which is teflon coated, the stock is made by McMillan. The barrel even being 24" long has a very lightweight profile ,making it quite light ( under 7 lbs ) for a magnum. Its a hunting rifle made for hunters who hunt on foot and move around. If you get out of your truck, walk 100 yds and sit inside a blind then the money is likely wasted. If you live in the bush for days on end and hunt on your feet then the value of an AWR will make sense for you. Yes its worth the money if you need that type of perormance.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:14 PM

I've been looking at these also. They're not much more than a Sako Finnlight (just can't get used to the look of this stock). Doesthe AWR stock have a cheekpiece similar to the 700?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: TerryM

You need to realize that the AWR has an action, bolt and barrel made of 416 stainless all of which is teflon coated, the stock is made by McMillan. The barrel even being 24" long has a very lightweight profile ,making it quite light ( under 7 lbs ) for a magnum. Its a hunting rifle made for hunters who hunt on foot and move around. If you get out of your truck, walk 100 yds and sit inside a blind then the money is likely wasted. If you live in the bush for days on end and hunt on your feet then the value of an AWR will make sense for you. Yes its worth the money if you need that type of perormance.
Does the 416 stainless and the teflon coating make it more weather resistent than a regular stainless rifle? If so how does it compare to the XCR?

Fat-Arrow
Old 02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the 416 stainless and the teflon coating make it more weather resistent than a regular stainless rifle?
Teflon is what lines the bottom of most non stick frying pans, pretty tough stuff. Regular stainless contrary to popular belief does rust. I have a few pin holes caused by rust on my Sako Finnlite. I personally prefer a Sako to the AWR but make no mistake the AWR is a serious hunting rifle.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:52 AM

TerryM,

What do you know about the Trinite(sp) finish on the XCR? I know what teflon is, I also know that is can be scratched off. I was under the impression that the XCR's finish was chemically bonded to the stainless steel. No one seems to know much about the XCR, and Rems web site doesn't offer much more than a sales pitch.

Thanks,
Fat-Arrow
Old 02-21-2006, 07:46 PM

iidsxiasii
Old 02-22-2006, 10:47 PM

Take a hard look at the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in the .300 Weatherby Mag. Hard to beat for quality and weight and all weather service. Nothing needed to say about the .300 Wby Mag. Caliber. It is a killer and flat shooting. Good luck

The AWR are also great I have one in the 7mm 08 for goats.!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

TerryM,

What do you know about the Trinite(sp) finish on the XCR? I know what teflon is, I also know that is can be scratched off. I was under the impression that the XCR's finish was chemically bonded to the stainless steel. No one seems to know much about the XCR, and Rems web site doesn't offer much more than a sales pitch.
Sorry, can't help with that. I would guess its pretty good also.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Having owned a 40xb-ks,and a model 700ks,I can assure you that they are not simply production line rifles with better stocks.The actions are hand picked out of the production lot,then trued and lapped.The triggers are tuned and mine consistantly broke within one ounce while normal 700 triggers often vary by up to five ounces.The barrels are also hand picked and the entire rifle appears to be made to much tighter tolerances than normal production rifles.And yes the stocks are of much higher quality than the molded stocks on the standard production rifles.The custom shop does test these rifles for accuracy and unlike the normal production rifles,they do have standards that are quite good.My 40xb-ks produced sub 1/2" five shot groups and the 700ks produced sub 3/4" three shot groups.