I just recently purchased a Shilo Sharps in 45/70, and was wondering what the would be the largest game, I could take with it?" />

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

45/70's

Old 01-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 45/70's

Not long ago, a hunter killed TWO CAPE BUFFALO with one shot from his Marlin lever action 45-70. That should tell you something about this old war horse. The 435 grain bullet went through a large bull then through a cow with the bullet stopping under the hide on the far side. The artical was in Rifle or Handloader magazine as I remember. He was using either Corbon or Garret loads. In tests, the 45-70 with hard cast bullets will out penetrate the 458 and 460 Weatherby Magnums. This is because even the hard cast bullets will began to expand at velocities over 2000 fps. The best velocity for penetration is 1600-1900 fps. Expansion sometimes causes a bullet to stear slightly off course which also limits penetration a bit.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 AM

With the right bullets, especially something like the loads offered from www.garrettcartridges.com, you can kill anything with the .45-70 (as long as you are using a rifle that can handle the pressures).

The big Garrett round, they claim, will go snooter to tooter through a Grizzly bear, and someone on their web site got an African big five with it.

There is no question that it will penetrate all game animals well enough to kill them, in fact, Garrett recommends that you aim for the heavy shoulder bone on dangerous game because their bullets will go through and disable the animal.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:56 AM

Thanks for the info, after looking at Garrett and Buffalo ammo sites, and reading some of the articles, and seeing pictures, all I gotta figure out is How and When, I'm gonna con The Wife into a trip to Alaska, BC, or someplace like that, to try this Bad-Boy on some Big, big game. Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

Be very carefull, I to have a sharps & the co. warns about not going over 25,000 c.u.p.. most loads from corbon & garrit are over that. make sure to check it out from them. I would hate to hear your sharps came apart in your face!! Just a friendly reminder. GB 50
Old 01-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very good advice. I think Garret and Corbon lists the recommended rifles for their loads.