Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Pump vs. Simi Auto

Old 01-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default Pump vs. Simi Auto

I'm looking for a shotgun but still dont know what i'm gonna get, i'v always liked pumps but have kinda been leaning twards Simi Auto. What does everybody else like too use? How do they shoot?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Pump vs. Simi Auto

What are you planning on using it for? I own both a pump (870)and a semi (SBEII). They both shoot great but I prefer the SBEII for sporting clays, waterfowl, and small game and Iuse the 870 as a slug gun.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like semi-autos, mainly for the higher rate of fire. It gives me a little more time to aim at another target or follow up on the current target.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rem 870 wingmaster--pump. I'd actually try to get an older used one thats been takin care of. they are a classic. probably the number 1 gun of them all. drop 'em in the mud, hunt when it's 10 degrees, doesn't matter. they'll perform flawlessly. I guarantee once you take one out hunting a couple of times you'll shoot as fast as you want to and the "pump" might actually give you that extra "rhythym" to re-focus instantly for the next shot...it does me. look at www.gunbroker.com they've got lots of good deals on new and used--you just have to have the gun shipped to a ffl dealer who'll probably charge a 20.00 fee. good luck
Old 01-11-2006, 07:13 PM

I love to carry my Ithaca 37 pumpfor deer season (it's light and extremely accurate), but it is a real bruiser to sight in. I have a scoped winchester pump. It is the cheapest gun I own, but boy is it accurate, especially when you consider it is a smoothbore. I just bought 2 used remington 1100's, one in 20 and one in 12. They are an absolute joy to shoot (very little recoil), and also quite accurate with deer slugs. I would recommend every one of these guns. The nice thing is they all shoot great with winchester super-X slugs, so I can change out guns but use the same ammo. If I were doing a lot of shooting (birds or clay birds), I'd look for a semi-auto. For deer I prefer the pumps, they are just easier to unload and perhaps a little more reliable in extreme conditions. The great thing is you can buy any of these used for a decent price.

KEJ
Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter1089

I'm looking for a shotgun but still dont know what i'm gonna get, i'v always liked pumps but have kinda been leaning twards Simi Auto. What does everybody else like too use? How do they shoot?
What are you going to use the shotgun for? All purpose, hunting, sporting, self defense, etc? Semi-autos are nice for the quick aim and insurance to the next target, whether it be waterfowl to clays. I own a Mossberg 835 and a 935, and I use the pump 835 for turkey when I am not bowhunting turkey, as well as self defense. The 935 is for waterfowl and other upland bird game, but if I wanted I could use it for self defense, as all guns can be used for. I do not knock using only a semi-auto for clays. I find the pump is more challenging, and I am always up for more of a challenge,especially with the extra timing you lose with the pumping action. It really comes to one question-whatever gun fits you the best, and what action as well. For me, both worlds give me no problems.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with a pump but I sure like my Semi-auto...
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Well like some have mentioned, it depends what I am going to use it for. I have Win mod.12-20ga, Moss.835-12ga, Moss. 500-12ga and Win.1300-12ga in pumps. In semi's I have2 FN BRN in 12ga and 16ga, 2 Rem. 1100-12ga.
For ducks, doves, quail and rabbits, I use the semi's, for hogs and turkeys, I use the pumps.
They all have different barrel lenghts and chokes.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:31 AM

We all have different preferenses and feelings about different things so I can understandany argumentthat is based on the words " feel" or"like", but apart from that is there any advantage about a pump? Is there any situation when it is better to manually cycle agun than just keep pulling the trigger?

Im not saying pumps are the wrong choice for anyone. Im just curious what it is that would be their advantage. Since they are around after great many years they obviously must appeal customers.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM

What are you planning on using it for? I own both a pump (870)and a semi (SBEII). They both shoot great but I prefer the SBEII for sporting clays, waterfowl, and small game and Iuse the 870 as a slug gun.
I agree with this except my auto is a browning gold. If you take care of an auto it will perform well in the field.

Quick Reply: Pump vs. Simi Auto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.