Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 what hand gun to buy??????????????? >

what hand gun to buy???????????????

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

what hand gun to buy???????????????

Old 01-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what hand gun to buy???????????????

one more thing i forgot to mention. I would stay away from the 10mm. It's a dying round. There isn't much popularity with it and when you do find ammo it's usually very costly. It has power, but it never really turned out to be the "best of the best" like the FBI wanted it to. I think a .45 would work the same with less recoil. JMO, not ripping the 10mm, but jmo.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:05 AM

You can not go wrong with a Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP!

It is a time tested, battle proven handgun. Plus, the .45 ACP is one of the premier rounds for stopping bad guys.

You will have seven quick shots at your disposal, and you can get parts for them everywhere and every gunsmith worth the title works on them.

I advise anyone looking at a defense handgun to try the 1911. I personally favor the Colt Government Model (with my personal side arm being that very gun in the Mk IV/series 70 configuration) with a few combat mods, like a pachmayr slide release etc.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

1911A1 or Browning P35, the two best and most proven combat handguns of all time.

[/align]
Old 01-18-2006, 03:16 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Glock 19 I have had both the 19 and 19C and use a 17 a lot and with the Magtec 115grJHP I foundthey had great stoping power on 80kg and under pigs in the thick stuff as long as you dont touch the FMJ crapyou will haveplenty of stoping power.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

get a les bear, or wilson combat ,or ed brown ,kimber,sigarms,glock,springfield,beretta,ruger,sm ith&wesson,lol what ever fits ya best and what ever you like and something that u can shoot good caliber cant ever go wrong with a 45.acp but others will do sometimes lol
Old 01-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at a Sig Sauer. Reliable,accurate, simple to operate with a decocking lever unlike those striker fired pistols. Shoots DA first shot and SA the rest so you can get decent accuracy at the range without the long DA only trigger pull.I have owned quite a few pistols and all I can say is I wish I had spent the money for the sig 10 years earlier. As my friend Bill, a long time sig-sauer fantold me when I told him I was looking to get a new pistol. "Stop playing around, spend the moneyandjust get theSig".I have never regretted that purchase. Also, I have never had a jam with my sig in about thirty boxes of ammo.(not a bighandgun shooter)The only pistol Iown or have ownedthat I can say that about.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

one more reply from me,

Sig makes great handguns, but cheap they are not. I think you can get that kind of quality in the Springfield XD series for about half the price. I have put thru over 4000 rounds on mine using all kinds of cheap ammo, haven't had a mis-fire or jam yet IN 4000 rounds. that to me is simply amazing.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:14 PM

I have alot of pistols (Glock 21, Colt 1911, CZ75, browning hi power, ect.) I also have several revolvers. I have a Smith model 19, model 27, both .357 mags, and a smith 29 in .44 mag. Also a riger blackhawk in 45 colt. I believe the 357 to be the best defensive cartridge. I shoot my model 27 better than I shoot any other (except possibly the colt). A good revolver is probably the best, most dependable and most maintainence free piece you could get. Especially for beginners Anymore though, a good auto, properly maintained and with the proper ammo is just about as dependable as a revolver. But there is just something about a nice balanced wheelgun. Especially one of the older smiths with thier high luster blueing.
BTW, I am not a cop or anything, and I have never had to use a gun for defense. I have taken a gun away from a hold up man at my store. Luckily, it was a jennings or a high point or some crap and it didn't go off.
okcmco