Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Is .308 enough gun

Old 01-07-2006, 12:23 AM

Default RE: Is .308 enough gun

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Remember this bear that weighed in at about 1100 pounds and was shot with a .338 Win mag at ten yards head on.

Would you want to take on this bear with a .308 at ten yards?

Damn right. Right smack in the skull with my 180 grain, full on gonzo tool of the trade. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Anyone for bear pie????
Old 01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Coyotestalker

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Remember this bear that weighed in at about 1100 pounds and was shot with a .338 Win mag at ten yards head on.

Would you want to take on this bear with a .308 at ten yards?

Damn right. Right smack in the skull with my 180 grain, full on gonzo tool of the trade. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Anyone for bear pie????

Seems to me youought to stick to Coyotes, Coyotestalker!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 AM

Rebel Hog, sorry you don't have a sense of humor. I would hate to encounter you in the woods. I might mistake you for an angry sasquatch!! Good luck, but I will stick to my .308 and .338 Lapua. I don't need anything higher, no uber-super-gonzo mega magnum calibers to keep me happy.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

and .338 Lapua. I don't need anything higher, no uber-super-gonzo mega magnum calibers to keep me happy.

Now that's more like! I did'ntsee any smilies, I thought you were serious!

Old 01-07-2006, 10:09 AM

A good friend of mine went to Alaska for a brown bear hunt last year and I remember him saying that most all the guides up there carry a 45-70. Just in case the client wounds one (say . . . with a .308) and they don't want to be dinner.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls, your right on the money. We have a couple of macho hunters that have never ventured into the realms of the big bears. It starts out as a hunter and guide stalking the bruin and quite often situation is reversed in the blink of an eye. You’re in his domain and if he doesn’t mind you won’t even see him, but if he has had a bad morning, you’re in a world of sh--! Watch a video on browns and look closely at their posture when they walk. A bear that just meanders, sniffs the wind occasionally isn’t much of a threat, but when you see one waddle stiff legged with his back arched, he’s adrenalin is stoked and that’s trouble. The bear is on alert and you better hope it’s not you that has him agitated. Rebel Hog also brought up another excellent point. A shot is the dinner bell for the local bear population. This is one of the most dangerous and nerve racking parts of the hunt. They race to the spot for a free meal and it can get very tense to say the least. The 308 is my favorite caliber with the 7mm Rem. Mag. a strong second, but not for dangerous game.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

You fellas that go after the monsters in those pictures have much bigger cojones than me. I think that I'll stick to hunting in places where I'm not one notch down on the food chain...

I vote for a bazooka!!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will have to ask your guide if the 308 is enuf gun. I seriously don't think he will allow a 308 to hunt Browns, unless he is packing something very large and isn't scared to kill a wounded bear.

I would not personally trust an auto-loader on a hunt where there are dangerous game involved. A nice bolt action would be my choice with the minimum being 338, and preferably a 375.

With that being said if it was me and the shots were 150 yards or less I would probably get myself a Marlin guide gun in 45/70 with the stainless barrel/action.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:04 AM

I think we're overlooking the fact that a number of large bears are killed every year with archery equipment. Certainly not what you'd chose for a charging grizzley at 10 yards, the Pope and Young book records are all killed with arrows.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I think we're overlooking the fact that a number of large bears are killed every year with archery equipment. Certainly not what you'd chose for a charging grizzley at 10 yards, the Pope and Young book records are all killed with arrows.
To be that close to a Brown, Grizz or Kodiak is to have a death wish, IMHO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.