Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Remington 7400 owners/experiences >

Remington 7400 owners/experiences

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 7400 owners/experiences

Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Remington 7400 owners/experiences

Ask any gunsmith what single rifle would they not own themselves and the vast majority would tell you a Remington auto loader. Be it a 740, 742 or 7400. You couldn't give me one or any.

We are constantly getting all three models in our shop for cycling problems. Some of them are because of not cleaning or "cleaning" with too much oil. Some are because the locking lugs have beat up the frame rails, some are because of the bolt head wearing out and not unlocking from the lug seats, Some are from parts breaking, etc... etc...

If you want an auto loading rifle then get a Browning BAR or short/ long track or Benelli R1.

FWIW we very seldom get a 7600 in the shop for problems other than stupid gun owners doing something stupid to the gun.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I invited a friend down one time to deer hunt, and he had a 7400. It was about as reliable as a politician. It might as well have been a single shot, because all it ever did was automatically jam. Neither he nor I could ever get and keep things clean enough for it to function reliably.

My suggestion if you want an autoloader would be to get a model that has seen military service at some point in time. Accuracy won't equal a bolt gun, but it will be good enough and reliability shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 PM

I own way too many rifles, and my first choice is a bolt action. However, I do own a Rem. model 74, which I bought new at a K- mart in the 80'sfor $ 50 off, because it had scratches in the stained hardwood stock, from much handling in the store. It was in 30/06, but before even firing it, I sent it off to Remington to rebarrel to .308, for a modest fee. K-mart had a ruleat the time,it would not sell any weapons in current military calibers. (.308), very dumb. I had 2 other rifles in .308 and the surplus ammowas everywhere. When I got it back,it was off to the range with some Federal factory ammo, as a pig hunt was coming up. To my bigsurprise, the first 3 shots went under a quarter at 100 yds. Yes, autos in general are a maintenance problem. While in the Army, my M-14 and M-16 had numerous malfunctionsfrom wear, and were not 100% reliable all the time without a lot of care and rebuilding. If you look atall of Remington 740,742,74,7400's sold, it's in the millions,...why?? It points and handles likethe 870/1100 shotguns, the most beloved shotgunsin this country, I believe. A meat hunter brought up witha Remingtonshotgun could shoulder the 742 and feel right at home. It absorbs recoil, more then the pump or bolts. It's lighter then the Browning and less expensive, and still points better then the BAR, for me anyway.

If their are problems with it,theyarebecause of the legion of those hunters that love it, and abuse it, and Remington not wanting to spend the $$ to make it perfect, when it sells well just as it is, with a handful of minor improvements overthe years. All the little piano wire springs alone in it's trigger group bother me. If there were as many after market goodies and mods for it as the Rem. 700, it might sit at the head of the class. But "meat" hunters don't buy goodies, they just keep shootin it.

Mine now sports a camo composite stock and an aimpoint, and will accompany me for pig in the Oak Savannas and brush covered hillsnear me,.. because nothing else own, comes up so fast and to the point on running game, and it's made in the USA.

By the way,..have any of you seen the Remington "Janet Reno Commemorative"

Old 12-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with one for the first 10 years or so I hunted. The key is cleanliness. Keep em clean and they wont let you down. I still see guys using them things by the truckloads. I agree with 180..its still the best shouldering gun I have hunted with...and i did grow up shooting an 870 Tack drivers they aint..but mine were all reasonably accurate. Theres a reason there are millions of them in use....
Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 AM
jjo

i have a 7400 an never had a jam try one in a short action. there is nothing wrong with the 7600 if your a pump guy. but if your not sure save your money and step up to a bar. jmo.

jjo
Old 12-17-2005, 08:52 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

I think I am going to go with a 7600 just to be sure.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:56 AM

I bought a used 742 Woodsmaster carbine, and it has never given me any trouble at all.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:28 AM

years ago I heard all the horror stories about the 742s and then the 7400s and the model 4. But my neighbor shot a 742 in 308 caliber for 18 years killing an average of 6 deer a year and never had one jam up or extraction problem. I bought a 7400 in 30/06 caliber and never had one minutes problem with it and I shot reloads. But I kept the reloads close to factory in trems of powder loading. The secret to any auto is clean it! Get a nylon chamber brush and keep it cleaned up! Make sure all the ammo is clean as well. I traded the 7400 when I though I was going to quit hunting (yeah right!) And it is still going strong and I bought it in the 70s. Clean it, oil it and take care of it and you will love it!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Spike

I used to own a rem 742 in 30-06, it was an anniversary model 150 yrs. I absolutely loved that gun, took my biggest buck with it, all the yrs I owned it I never had a problem with it, wish I still had it but unfortunately I had to sell itto buy the wife a birthday present at a time when money was scarce.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy yourself a Winchester Model 100. A good used one will be in the same price range as a Remington 7400.

Quick Reply: Remington 7400 owners/experiences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.