Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Seriously considering Benelli R1 >

Seriously considering Benelli R1

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Seriously considering Benelli R1

Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Seriously considering Benelli R1

Been looking at them seriously for a couple of months and am close to getting one but I'd like some feedback from the group, besides the look which is the only thing I hear people not liking, and I truely like what is our experence. The weight is not so forward as the Remington7400 and Browning BAR which I hate. I'd love for Benelli to make the R1 in 338 but I can makethe 300 do everything I need, and I expect they never will because it wouldn't be interchangeable.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:00 PM

Default RE: Seriously considering Benelli R1

The forward weight your talking about is there to help one hold the gun more steady for one reason. I have found that the first shot is usually the one that gets the game,and personally never been a high powered auto rifle fan. But people like them,thats why they sell them. Your right your 300 will do anything you need it do do. Have your 300, chambered out to and rebored to 338 win.,if thats what you want. Contact Browning R&D about this if you want. vangunsmith
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

Nice looking rifle if you like autoloaders. Used to have a BAR and it was very accurate, just that I hated the hassle of cleaning autos.

Only wanted to point out one thing regarding your statement
"but I can makethe 300 do everything I need". If you just mean that you will use it for everything its fine, if on the other hand you releoad and intend on varying the loads according to your needs than watch out. Most autoloaders are very finicky about their ammo and most of the manufacturers specify not to use certain ammo like light magnum ammo or I guess, hot handloads in their autos. Check this issue out if you are a reloader otherwise ignore.Take care and good luck with the gun.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 PM

I would say, don't do it. Benelli makes nice shotguns, but I would stick with a Browning BAR if you want a semi-rifle. It just makes me squirm to buy new line of rifle from a shotgun company, needs a little more quality assurance testing. I would do some research like, who they get there barrels from or do they make them themselves, and talk to others who have owned one. I personally don't know much about them so don't take my advise if you don't want to, but i'd rather stick with a tried and tested company.

Chris
Old 12-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Spike

I have 2 R-1's and love them. I like the feel of them more than the BAR.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:41 PM

Are yours straight R1s or comfortech?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Spike

Not Comfortech. I have a 30-06 & 300mag, both with 20" barrells.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 AM

Just read in a magazine that of the four tested autos they had(benelli Argo, H&K SLB2000 light, remington 7400 and BAR longtrac) the only one to reload when using light practice ammo was the Benelli.