Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 gun for youth (need advice) >

gun for youth (need advice)

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

gun for youth (need advice)

Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Default gun for youth (need advice)

I need advice on what kind of gun to get for my 12-year old for Christmas. He is most interested in deer hunting, and secondarily turkeys. Something appropriate but not overly expensive. Also any advice on the best place to purchase this type of firearm.
Thanks!
Nancy
Old 11-26-2005, 08:45 PM

Default RE: gun for youth (need advice)

i would suggest a 20 gauge,maybe a remington 870(its a pump)u can find this and other guns at stores like cabelas, wal mart, gander mountain, k mart, dicks sporting goods, and prolly an other sporting goods stores

Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 PM

id go with the remington 870 in 12ga. they make some combos that should fit what you are looking for. i would go with the 12ga because it is actually cheaper to shoot it shoots more shot(turkeys) or a heavier slug(deer) and that way when he gets bigger you wont have to upgrade him to a 12.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was using an 870 12 guage at 12 years of age and recoil was manageable for me.I was average sized for my age.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:58 AM

Yep go for a 12gauge!
Itis often a heavier gun wich also helps reduce recoil.

Being a synthetics fan I still would recommend a wooden stock and a saw to adjust length.

Congrats to havinga son thats want to go hunting with you!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

A shotgun is probably the absolute best first gun a kid can have.

I would suggest a Winchester 1300 black shadow deer combo that will come with a rifled slug barrel and a 28" vent rib barrel. He could literally hunt everything from squirrels to bears with a single gun.

My first gun was a Winchester 1300 I got when I was 11 years old. It has been a flawless workhorse. I still have it 20 years later and it works as good now as it did new.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome aboad Nancy.
A question if you dont mind- Do yall where you live have to hunt deer with a shotgun? If not i personaly wouldnt unless forced to by law, regs& conditionsetc.

Nothing wrong with those 12 guage shotguns mentioned - It was also my first gun at 10& what i used for deer first few times too.(it was the law)

Many firearms will come in youth models no sawing off of the stock needed to fit& you can get a fullsize stock later if need be .( there ussallyjust a little shorter a inch or so-so they do fit adults too with shorter arms etc also)

If i was buying for my son where i live his first gun think id go for one of those Nef single shotrifles in 270. 280. or 25.06 & i would get a 12gashotgun barrel& a 22. barreletc that would give him 3 guns or more on one frame.( the barrels are interchangable/switchable)

They can be had at walmart at very reasonable prices( about $200.00) with the other barrels extra cost add ons/also reasonable in price)

If ya do a net search for nef rifles or h&r rifles you can check them out on there websight& see what the extras cost etc too.

Good luck , im sure he will injoy whatever you decide on.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.walmart.com/guns?path=0%3A4125%3A4155%3A170080

http://www.hr1871.com/

If those linkswork above-maybe they will help some shopping- one is to order firearms from walmart that they have for sale& will get for you, with prices etc.

The other is Nef,s page- If im not mistaken i think warlmart sells a plain nef single shot 12 ga( cant put rifle barrels on that one i dont think)

Santa already left me a nice henry lever action rifle[]
Old 11-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the NEF youth model but it's only available in .243 win and 7mm-08 ( as a youth offering ) My son just out grew his .243 and got his first full sized gun this year. When all was said and done he got a .45-70 NEF as his gun. ( now I can have mine back)
Old 11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

I am with the dudes reccomending the NEF .243, you can buy the .243 NEF rifle for 199 and then send off for the 20 or 12 guage interchangeable barrell for $40.00 so he can have both. I used a NEF in .243 to take a white tail at 160 yards this year. Accureate and fast handling. EJ

Quick Reply: gun for youth (need advice)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.