Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.270 vs .30-06

Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default .270 vs .30-06

To the more experienced shooters out there... I am looking to purchase a new rifle for myself(since I already got my younger sister hers) and am unsure whether I want to go with a .270 or a .30-06. I have recently discovered that hunting from a tree stand is not such a bad thing and the area that I hunt will offer me a shot in the neighborhood of around 220 yards. I know that both the .270 and .30-06 will reach that far and have plenty of killing power with a well placed vitals shot. My problems comes to light when I want to use this rifle for several large games species... Bear, Elk, and Mule Deer. My research says that both are excellent calibers but would love to get some feedback from those with a few more years of experience with the firearms.
Thanks and have a safe and enjoyable day
Old 11-16-2005, 02:09 AM

Default RE: .270 vs .30-06

270Win. or 30-06? Either one will do a good job for you. However, with bear & elk on the menu I'd lean to the 30-06. The '06 will have the advantage there due to the availability of heavier bullets for the bigger game, and simply too, it makes a little bigger hole.
You've narrowed it down to two fine classic cartridges, and there's a reason for that - they work! Another advantage is that either one will be available in pretty much any rifle you like.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Virginia7

However, with bear & elk on the menu I'd lean to the 30-06.
agreed ......but either will be fine just choose the right bullet!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

What do you think of these bullet choices for the two calibers I have asked about...
.270: 140 grain Federal Premuims, 140 grain Winchester Ballistic Tips

.30-06: 165 grain Winchester Ballistic Tips(intended for whitetail and Mule deer), 180 grain Federal Premiums(this would be my choice for bear and elk)
Old 11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Delete...
Old 11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Guys, would you not want to throw the 270 WSM into the mix? If I understand correctly, it will give a little more power over the 270 and will give you a short action (if that is important to you). It seems to be around to stay.

Spud
Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Myself? I just use the same bullets for both white tail and moose with my '06 (and would do the same for elk or mule deer). I can't think of any functional difference why you'd use different shells for the game you're going after. The reason? That way, I just settle on the factory ammo that shoots well in my gun, sight it in and don't have to mess with it. I can concentrate on practicing shooting, not re-zeroing the scope.

First principle I use is: there is no reasonNOT to use a 180 grain bullet on either. It's probably a little better for the larger animals, but there is absolutely no problem with using a 180 grain bullet on a white tail. A hole is a hole. There is no difference in "damage" between a 165 and a 180. As far as trajetory goes, there is no functional difference in power or how I'd aim a 180 vs a 165 at the distances I am competent to shoot at - maybe 300 yards max. Both can easily be zeroed for point blank out to 300. 99% of my shots are 200 yards or less because I'm conservative and not a super-skilled marksman.

Second principal I recently adopted - I just go ahead and use a premium load for all my hunting. My gun shoots both Remington corelokts and Premier A Frame better than other factory load I've tried. I used to just use corelokts for everything and I'd have to say they worked fine. I've recently decided (after reading up on it) that the A Frames might be better in general for larger animals like moose, so I just decided that they're my do everything shell.Other than slight cost difference, there's no reason no to use them on white tail.I've used both onwhite tail and moose and all animals have died promptly with a double lung and/or heart shot. Cost (maybe $5 per box), is not a huge factor for me because I just don't shoot all that much - a couple boxesto practice and a shell or two to hunt! If cost were an issue, I'd use the corelokts for target practice and the premiums for hunting - because the corelokts happen to zero virtually identical to the A frames in my gun.

I just don't see any advantage to messing with various loads for various animals if a 180 gr.Aframe or Corelokt (or equivalent from other manufacurer) will do the job for anything from whitetail to moose. I'll do the same if I ever hunt mulies or elk.

edit - I'm sorry I see you were considering 140 grain for deer and a heavier bullet for larger animals and I was talking about 165 vs. 180. My point still holds - there's no reason not to use the heavier bullet for all the animals atnormalhuntingranges.I think you'll find that most if not all 140 - 180 grain factory loads that arevery appropriate for whitetail, moose and elk, can be zeroed virtually identical, point blankat 250 - 300 yards. Going beyond that,all (whether light or heavy bullet) will need a huge compensation. Of course I'm talking strictly 30-06. If you were to be planning on super long shots, you'd probably get a differnt gun - a smaller caliber, magnum or both.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

If you are ok with the recoil of the 06 then that is what I would go with. It will shoot 150s at 3000 fps with the right factory loads and with the higher BC in todays bullet designs it does not loose as much downrange as the 30 cal used to. As far downrange energy with the heavier bullets goesit is clearly superior also.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy that has shot 2 elk now with his 270WSM, so I will have to say that it will kill elk no problem. His fiance actually used his rifle a few weeks ago to harvest a cow elk at 305 yards. One shot dropped it to its front knees, then it got up and ran about 50 yards into the timber and expired. So either will do what you want to do with it.

It all comes down to personal preference between the 2 cartridges.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

What one can do with a 30-06 another can do with a .270 and vise versa. Also throw in the .280 Remington.

They each have slight advantages in one aspect or another but none of them outshine the other two by enough to make one better than the others.

Honestly I would choose based on the game that you intend to hunt the most with this rifle. If deer are your primary target then the .270 is slightly better suited for whitetails, mule deer and black bear. If elk and moose are your primary target then the 30-06 has a slight advantage with slightly larger and heavier bullets. An excelent compromise is the .280 Remington. It combines the best of both worlds with light bullets for deer and heavy bullets for elk and moose.There isn't an elk or moose alive that will stand up to a .277" bullet through the vital organs so choose with your primary targeted animal in mind.

But like I said earlier. The dead animals will never know the differance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.