Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

CVA Accura MR-X

Old 12-10-2022, 04:38 AM
Spike

Talking CVA Accura MR-X

Recently purchased my new CVA Accura MR-X in 45 caliber from muzzle-loaders.com as a serious upgrade from my old T&C. My intent was to switch to Blackhorn 209 powder but it appears impossible to find around here. So, I'm currently shooting it with 100 grains of 777 & Powerbelt ELR ammo. I've only put a few rounds through it so far. But at 100 yards, I'm grouping at 1.5" ( I suspect it would be even better with a true bench vise) and it's staying much cleaner than I expected with each shot. It also has an adjustable trigger pull, which I have yet to mess with, but I definitely plan to. So far, I'm extremely happy with it & looking forward to taking it afield next weekend.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

How do you swab the Triple7 fouling aka crud ring between shots with the included ramrod?
Old 12-10-2022, 05:23 PM
Spike

Not as easily as I would have hoped. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to find a suitable bore guide before I screw up the rifling.
I swabbed in between shots for consistency while sighting in, but I haven't figued out how many shots I can get away with before accuracy suffers.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

You missed my point...How are you swabbing with a collapsible bungee cord ram rod? That rod is made for loading only. Its right in the manual.

Collapsible Field Loading Ramrod – This ramrod is for field reloading only.
Deploy by holding onto the Palmsaver™ handle and letting the rest of the
ramrod drop. The shock cord will pull the sections together into a rod that is
stiff and strong enough to seat a bullet. To return the ramrod to the pouch,
simply pull the sections apart and fold it.
To reload, repeat the steps above. For maximum shot-to-shot consistency on
the range, it is recommended to run one patch through the barrel between
shots (a dry patch with Blackhorn 209®, a slightly damp patch with other
propellants). Use the solid aluminum range rod and the brass jag to do this
step
You see, the Paramount and MRX/LRX were designed to use BH209 powder that does not require swabbing between shots. All other powders will need swabbing or you risk not getting the bullet fully seated on the powder. This is especially true with Triple7 and the hard crud ring it forms.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-11-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:44 AM
Spike

Yup, Sorry, I completely missed the point of your question. I haven't used the included rod at all yet. So far I've used the aluminum rod from my old T&C for loading & swabbing. I'll need to invest in a good range rod. It's not ideal but I'll have to stick with this for now or shell out for the hazmat fee ro get the BH209.
If anyone else happens to see this & knows of any places in Upstate NY where it can be found, please LMK.
Any other suggestions to optimize are GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:44 AM
Spike

Yup, Sorry, I completely missed the point of your question. I haven't used the included rod at all yet. So far I've used the aluminum rod from my old T&C for loading & swabbing. I'll need to invest in a good range rod. It's not ideal but I'll have to stick with this for now or shell out for the hazmat fee ro get the BH209.
If anyone else happens to see this & knows of any places in Upstate NY where it can be found, please LMK.
Any other suggestions to optimize are GREATLY appreciated.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:21 AM
Spike

Second attempt. Somehow my reply to my own post got moderated?
You are correct, sir! I completely missed what you were getting at.
TBH, I haven't used the included tent pole rod at all yet. I've just used my aluminum rod from my T&C for seeding & swabbing. I'll have to pick up a decent range rod.
I was going to ask if the White Hot was any better, but it appears that's only available in 50 cal.
Any difference in the amount of fouling between 777 powder vs pellets?
Old 12-12-2022, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO the so called crud ring with T7 is over emphasized. Swab between shots with a 50/50 blue Windex and 91% alcohol and you'll be fine. Personally I prefer Pyrodex RS.
i never could understand why BH209 gets all the hype about being so clean. I always swab between shots no matter what powder I'm using and even with BH209 there is a lot of fouling in the bore. Is this fouling softer than black powder or other subs fouling?
i keep trying it and have 2 full containers but I almost always get better accuracy with another powder.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
IMO the so called crud ring with T7 is over emphasized. Swab between shots with a 50/50 blue Windex and 91% alcohol and you'll be fine. Personally I prefer Pyrodex RS.
i never could understand why BH209 gets all the hype about being so clean. I always swab between shots no matter what powder I'm using and even with BH209 there is a lot of fouling in the bore. Is this fouling softer than black powder or other subs fouling?
i keep trying it and have 2 full containers but I almost always get better accuracy with another powder.
Thanks, I guess that's the crux. Although,it's nice to be able to shoot at the range without excessive cleaning between shots, my purpose in this purchase is to optimize accuracy and to some degree distance. I'm doing well with the 777, but I may be best served in doing some side by side comparison.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Honey Badger
Thanks, I guess that's the crux. Although,it's nice to be able to shoot at the range without excessive cleaning between shots, my purpose in this purchase is to optimize accuracy and to some degree distance. I'm doing well with the 777, but I may be best served in doing some side by side comparison.
Always good to compare if you have the time and the finances to do so. Try different powder, charges, bullets even lubes. But caution: only change one thing at a time so you know what improves accuracy or makes it worse. Also keep a log to record your findings. Its good for future reference too. If you want to try full bore conical bullets you can try with and without a felt under wad (between the bullet and powder.)
To me that's the fun in muzzleloader shooting. Its rare that you own 2 that shoot the same load the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.