Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hornady light mag

Old 10-27-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Hornady light mag

Has any body tried Hornady's light mag bullets in a 30-06 180 grain bullets.if so how well do they work and how well do they knock the deer down.thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:41 PM

Default RE: Hornady light mag

I tried a boxa couple of years ago, but they didn't group well at all out of my rifle, so I didn't use them. I've also tried the Federal high energy load (similar principle), but they didn't group very well either.I like the idea though.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I'm like zekeskar --- I tried 'em but they didn't group well out of my rifle. But who knows, they might work in yours. Any particular reason to change loads?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:36 AM

I use remington 180 led round rose soft point. I want to use something that will compete will a 7 mill mag.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then try Federal Premiums with either the Sierra GameKing or the Nosler Ballistic Tip. They will group well in most rifles and both bullets have good BC and SD. BTW, the 30-06 will do anything the 7mm Rem Mag will do without having to resort to Light Mags.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTW, the 30-06 will do anything the 7mm Rem Mag will do without having to resort to Light Mags.
and the 308win will do anything that the 30-06 will do

and the 300 savage will do anything that the 308win will do

and the 303 british will do anything that the 300savage will do

and the 30-30 win will do anything that the 303 british will do

and so on and so on and so on

The differences between each cartridge are small but they do exist and they do add up.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbuck13754

I use remington 180 led round rose soft point. I want to use something that will compete will a 7 mill mag.
That's why I tried them, to get 7 mag performance. ... and you should (try them) too. If they shoot well in your gun, they will have a little more power down range and there is no reason not to use them. They will kick a little more and are more expensivein case that matters.

BUt if they don't shoot well for you, don't worry. The more I looked at it, the more I realized that the difference between the 7 mag and the '06 is very minor and really wouldn't affect my ability to kill a deer, elk ormoose at the ranges I hunt.I think you'll find the trajectory for both in similar bullets, iswithinand inch or so out to at least 300 yards, and both are easy to zero for point blank aiming at least that far. (e.g.3 or so inches high at 100).You'll find that the difference in knock down power might exist on paper, but the effect on the game is probably not there, at least at the ranges I hunt. Look at the trajectory and the ft. lbs and decide if it's important for your hunting.

As someone mentioned, the major mfgrs. make "premium" grade bullets in normal loads. For example, I've tried a couple and settled on the 180 Remington Safari Grade (which I believe is a Swift A-Frame bullet) as an alternative to the regular Corelokts for moose. Interestingly, they sight about the same in my gun so I can switch between the two with only about an inch shift (side to side) at 100 yds. In the past I used the Remington Swift Scirocco which I believe is a bonded type bullet, and it shot well too and killed a moose! Federal and Winchester have factory ammo with premium bullets as well- you can pretty much research which bullet you think wouldbe best then find it in a factory load andfigure out which one shoots well for your gun.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Hornady light mag in my 7mm-08 rifles and have had excellent results with all 5 rifles all of the deer i have shot with them cant wait to die. They are the most accurate factory ammo i have shot. I hope this helps chad
Old 11-10-2005, 05:29 AM

My buddy had good luck with them out of his Rem.700.... 30-06 !!

I couldn't get them to group worth a crap out of my Steyr .6mm !!! Worst grouping bullets I have ever tried !!

Old 11-12-2005, 09:30 PM

Federal has a high energy that load that has a big punch. It is a 180 grainer. Do a search there were acouple past posts that went into extreme detail comparing the two cals.

Quick Reply: Hornady light mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.