Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3 >

A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 AM

Default RE: A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

don't know who told you that but I assure you that they are wrong. The only bolt action rifle that has a press fit barrel, that I know of, is the Remington 710.
Are you sure and where are you getting your info if you are?

Old 10-31-2005, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: culler

The Savage barrel is screwed in and the Browning is press fitted (reciever is heated and the barrel cooled and then pressed in to the reciever. That alone makes me want the Savage more as well as it beingalmost 1/2 the price.
Browning a-bolts do have their barrels threaded into the receiver.Gunsmiths do not like rebarreling them because the factory uses a thread locking compound that makes it very difficult to remove the barrels.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:09 PM

go with the weatherby vanguards, synthetic stainless, you can get the package for around $700.00. hard case, scoppe 3-9 banner bore-sited at weatherbys custom shop and a sling for the price, with a shot target for your caliber, my 257 wby. had 3 shots same hole. good luck to you.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:39 PM

I never tell people how to spend their money, but if it were me and I could afford an A-Bolt,I'd buy *two* Savages instead. Or one Savage and a really, really good scope.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigbulls

About the question between the two rifles. I would take the one that "feels" better on your shoulder. Close your eyes and shoulder both of them and go by feel alone. See which one comes into position more naturally, which one feels more silid in the shoulder, which one you can hold stadier, shich one gets your eye lined up with a scope better, etc...
I agree!!

I have to laugh about the Savage not being "pretty" comments? I think it looks awesome the way it is!!! If it fits you well, and shoots like hell's fire, does it really matter about the looks?

Old 11-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm partial to the Savage line.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Let me put my 2 cents in here.

I have owned 2 A-Bolts. One was a Hunter the other was a Stainless Stalker both were .30-06 They are nice rifles, looked good...shot good...made ya feel good looking at the buckmark on the bottom of the trigger guard. Then you remember the "made in Japan" stamp on the barrel. Like I said it's a fine gun, hell I bought 2 of em. But now I'm done w/ Browning. It seems like an ego thing w/ Browning. I don't care to look good holding a "Browning" rifle. My rifles are TOOLS. I also own 2 Savage Rifles. A 110 .270 & a 110 .30-06 I have a few dollars in my pocket & I'm really wanting an 11F .243. I'm a Remington man myself but I have a great respect for Savage rifles. They are dead on accurate, dependable and Ugly. Just what a TOOL should be !
Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: jdreddish

Let me put my 2 cents in here.

I have owned 2 A-Bolts. One was a Hunter the other was a Stainless Stalker both were .30-06 They are nice rifles, looked good...shot good...made ya feel good looking at the buckmark on the bottom of the trigger guard. Then you remember the "made in Japan" stamp on the barrel. Like I said it's a fine gun, hell I bought 2 of em. But now I'm done w/ Browning. It seems like an ego thing w/ Browning. I don't care to look good holding a "Browning" rifle. My rifles are TOOLS. I also own 2 Savage Rifles. A 110 .270 & a 110 .30-06 I have a few dollars in my pocket & I'm really wanting an 11F .243. I'm a Remington man myself but I have a great respect for Savage rifles. They are dead on accurate, dependable and Ugly. Just what a TOOL should be !
wellllll!!!!! wasnt that special...
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me I would go with the A-Bolt, I just can't bring myself to like the Savage actions, sure they might shoot good, but the actions leave alot to be desired.

I have an A-Bolt Stalker in 7mm that will put 3 shots under 1" at 300 yards, and at 100 yards it will put 5 that you can cover with a quarter.

I also have a Tikka T-3 243 that shoots just as good as my 7mm if not a touch better.

The Tikkas and Brownings both have easy-to-adjust factory triggers, are smooth as glass and most importantly, hit where you aim.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id go for the A-bolt I have 2 of them and love that they come free floated, e-z adjust trigger and just look and feel better to me.

Id rather have 1 Cadillac then 2 Hundai's.

Quick Reply: A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.