HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Ruger-- Savage rifles??????????????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/114463-ruger-savage-rifles.html)

tbuck300wsm 09-27-2005 08:18 AM

Ruger-- Savage rifles???????????????

I am looking at getting a new gun in a 7-08 cal. mostly because my daughter will be hunting in a year, I own 4 browings 2 bars, 2 abolts. the calibers are 2 270s, 1 270wsm, and a 300wsm.. I feel these would be too much gun for her .. my question is I would like to buy somthing a little less pricey than a browning, and I was wondering how the ruger and the savage rifles stack up as far as how they shoot and handle???????? Ive had great luck with the browings that is why I own 4 of them, they shoot great..... I may also look at the 260rem cal but I dont want a 243, we hunt deer in wisconsin,, any ideas??????????????????????????

Handles 09-27-2005 08:39 AM

RE: Ruger-- Savage rifles???????????????

Also from WI, your choice of caliber sounds good, have you thought of a .25-06? Both of my cousin's daughters began shooting them at age 12 (he bought each of them one, both are Savage) and they love them. I helped with the sighting-in process on theyoungest daughter. What a sweet shooting little gun and very accurate and does a great job on bucks around here. Myself I shoot a ruger MkII as did my father. Also a great gun.
Question? Having shotmy mom's BAR .270 when I was much younger and smaller (I was only about 85 lbs at 12-13 years old) I would say that your daughters could shoot it (about the same recoil as the .257 Roberts that I had). I would put on an aftermarket butt pad like Kick Eze or Sims just to be safe.

tbuck300wsm 09-27-2005 08:44 AM

I thought about her shooting one of the 270 bars but in a way it gives me another reason to buy a new rifle lol he he .. I can justfy it with my girlfrend lol ,,

Rebel Hog 09-27-2005 09:03 AM

The .260, 6.5mm and 7mm-08 are close and good
choices!

missed_another 09-27-2005 09:14 AM

i would not be surprized if the savages shoot circles around your brownings. pretty tough to out shoot a savage. they just plain shoot good. not to fancy but they are shooters.:)

quiksilver 09-27-2005 09:18 AM

Model 11FYXP3 Youth – with AccuTrigger

[align=right]Action[/align]
Short

[align=right]Caliber[/align]
223 Rem., 243 Win., 7mm-08 Rem.

[align=right]Overall Length [/align]
41.5"

[align=right]Barrel Length[/align]
22"

[align=right]Weight[/align]
6.5 lbs.

[align=right]Magazine
Capacity
[/align]
4 rounds

[align=right]Stock[/align]
Black synthetic with positive checkering, 12.5"length of pull.

[align=right]Sights[/align]
3-9x40mm scope, mounted and bore-sighted.

[align=right]Rifling Rate of Twist[/align]
223 Rem. (1 in 9")
243 Win. (1 in 9.25")
7mm-08 Rem.(1 in 9.9.5")

[align=right]Features[/align]
New AccuTriggerTM, blued barreled action, free-floating and button-rifled barrel, top loading internal box magazine, nylon sling and swivel studs.

[align=right]Suggested
Retail
[/align]
$501.00

My uncle just picked this up for his daughter last year in .243. It's incredibly accurate, and the accu-trigger may be the nicest factory trigger out there. I'd guess that the 7mm-08 would be just as accurate.

I think he got the whole kit for $400 at Dick's Sporting Goods. She shot a doe with it, and he did too. He killed his at275 yards.

Gundigest 09-27-2005 11:35 AM

Both of my Ruger 77 Mk IIs (.223 and 300 WSM) shoot .5 MOA. The only thing you will have to do is have a trigger job done. I know quite a few people whos Mk IIs shoot 1 MOA or better. They are a very good gun for the money, I would highly recommend them. My friend has a Mk II in .260 and it will put three shots under a nickel at 100 yards. I would go with the .260 for a beginers rifle, it has very little recoil and shoots very well. The 7-08 is a good choice too.

semi 09-27-2005 11:41 AM

i have a savage in 7mm-08, it's quickly becoming my favorite rifle. Great easy shooting caliber, and the savage is very accurate. RIGHT out of the box. So much so it amazed me.

Scott Gags 09-27-2005 07:28 PM

I have a Model 116 Stainless in 06 and it shoots corelokt ammoat 1". It has exceeded my expectations and I really like the safety location also. An important consideration for a kid..

Knightia 09-27-2005 11:21 PM

I have a Model 116 Stainless in 06
Same one i got- It was marked down at walmart a few yrs back to $250.00 - with a scope a combo gun. But i could never see out of that scope much/ so i upgraded to a $40 scope;):D. Shoots real nice too / not to heavy(i dont have to worry about messing up the nice wood to). Will use it again this yr i think for my elk cow.
I like it.
I think i will get another Savage sometime. I do have a ruger m77 but i will be giving that to my son soon.