Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Savage makes some accurate guns >

Savage makes some accurate guns

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Savage makes some accurate guns

Old 09-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Savage makes some accurate guns

I bought a discointinued Savage 112 FSS in 300WM and mounted a Simmons Whitetail Expeditionwith Burris double dovetail mounts($425total).This "cheap" combo puts 3 shots into less than 1/2" with Remington factory ammo. The only modification thatI made to the gun was to reduce the trigger pull to 4 lbs. My father hasthe same gun and got very similar results.A dime would cover hisgroups as well. We were both truly impressed, especially for a magnum cartridge.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Savage makes some accurate guns

Yup, that's what most Savages are noted for. Not the prettiest guns ( far form it ) but they'll shoot better than most people can.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

Yup, that's what most Savages are noted for. Not the prettiest guns ( far form it ) but they'll shoot better than most people can.
Very few gunsmiths will build you a more accurate hunting gun.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'll agree with all of the above,but I now have a "pretty" Savage 110 FP.I replaced the ugly black tupperware stock with an olive green with black spider webbing pillar bedded Bell and Carlson and it looks as good as it shoots, sub inch 5 shot groups.It's a 25-06 I'm shooting 100gr Barnes TSX 55 gr. H4831sc Winchester case and Federal 210M primer.Averages 3308 fps.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

After seeing this gun shoot, I wonder why some guys dump $1000+ into a rifle/scope combo. Yeah, pretty guns are nice and all but I'd rather spend my money on pretty taxidermy. Maybe I need more culture or something.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an old 10ns in 243 , very accurate , but the triger could be better . The new accutrigers are great .

Speaking of the cartridge you are shooting , is that the accubond ?
I have heard great things about it , and that is only remington product Ive heard a positive on in a while , may have to give them try .
Old 09-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a stock photo of mySavage 12vss.22-250 - I put bigger bipods on it, and an 8-32x scope with a sunshade. It came stock with a custom trigger set at 15oz., and it breaks like a potato chip. Quite heavy though, but if you can see it, you can kill it.

$950 altogether, but it shoots rings around my buddies' custom Remingtons. The most accurate rifle I've ever fired.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

ijimmy - The accubond is not a Remington bullet, Nosler I believe. I was shooting plain jane core-lokt and my dad was shooting the ultra core-lokt. The groups with the Remington core-lokt were just under 1/2" and the Federal Speer bullets were just a touch over 1/2". These were off the shelf loadsfrom of an out of the box gun sans the minor trigger adjustment that took all of 60 seconds. I want to get a box of Accubonds for my next range visit because of their accuracy reputation and downrange performance. That is the flattest shooting, best penetrating bullet I have seen for the 300WM. If I re-loaded I would make up a batch of max loads pushing 200 gr Accubonds. That would be good for about 3900+ ft/lbs at the muzzle and almost 2000 ft/lbs at 500 yds. I like to shoot one gun for everything and shoot it well. This load would take down everything from deer to moose to all but the biggest bears.

Another surprise is how tame the recoil is on this gun. I shot a full box withjust my t-shirt between the gun and my shoulder withno problem.The guncame with a medium weight 26" barrel, between a sporter and a varmint contour. The whole combo weighs 9 lbs which really makes it comfortable to shoot. Hey quiksilver, that would probably feel light to you. I love the varmint setup but it doesn't quite fit my style of hunting. I am waytoo busy to enjoy the winter varmint season here, unfortunately.

If anyone is looking for a low budget rig, I bet the new Stevens with a decent scope and some quailty mounts would keep the freezer full for decades to come. If I didn't have so many rifles already I would be all over that.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ment to say core lock , my bad .
Old 09-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agree with all of you - ever since I started buying and shooting my Savage rifles, my others are sitting in my safe collecting dust. Pretty - no; Accurate and reliable- you bet.

Quick Reply: Savage makes some accurate guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.