HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Sako75 or Wby accumark (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/107040-sako75-wby-accumark.html)

Kopfjaeger 07-28-2005 09:35 PM

Sako75 or Wby accumark

I'm looking at the Sako75 stainless synthetic in 300wsm or the Weatherby Accumark in 300win mag. Both seem to be great rifles but only one can
be choose. Any information would be great.

bigbulls 07-28-2005 10:24 PM

RE: Sako75 or Wby accumark

My money would go to Sako with out hesitation. Look at everything about the rifles like fit and finish, action smoothness, triggers, etc... and I believe you will see that the Sako will be the clear winner.

Weatherby just doesn't offer anything worth their price tag IMHO.

bigcountry 07-28-2005 10:26 PM

Have had them both. Still have the sako75 if that tells ya anything.

The weatherby is well made. But doesn't have all the things I like.

Solitary Man 07-29-2005 08:10 AM

Both are better than average rifles and they'll be plenty accurate, so consider what mechanical features you prefer. The Sako has a 3 lug bolt and the Weatherby's bolt has9 lugs. The simpler 3 lug bolt is preferable in my opinion.Both have easily adjustable triggers, so that's a wash. The Sako has a blade ejector while the Wby. has a plunger ejector. I prefer the blade type. The extractors are pretty similar, so that's another wash. The Sako scope mounting system uses a tapered dovetail atop the receiver. The Wby. uses traditional screw on type bases. Both systems have their advantages and are equally dependable, but there are probably more choices of scope mounts available for the Weatherby. This may be slight advantage for the Wby., but the choices available for the Sako (Sako Optilocks, Conetrol, Talley, etc...) are all excellent.

In the end, they're both nice rifles, but I'd have to choose the Sako based on the mechanical differences. I just think it's a better overall product.

GRIZZLYMAN 07-29-2005 09:46 AM

I never had a Weatherby but I have a Sako and if I only could keep one gun, it would be it.

Kopfjaeger 07-29-2005 01:03 PM

Thanks for the advice, one of my friends had told me about the Kimber Montana model in 300wsm its in the same
price range. They make awesome 45s but I don't know anything about their rifles, besides what their web site has.

Solitary Man 07-29-2005 03:43 PM

I've been thinking about looking at those Kimbers too when I buy my next rifle. Who knows when that might be, though. They have some features I'm particularly fond of like the claw extractor and 3 position safety. But the reviews I've read on the internet seem sort of mixed, so I might just end up with another Sako.

driftrider 07-29-2005 04:48 PM

The Sako has a 3 lug bolt and the Weatherby's bolt has9 lugs. The simpler 3 lug bolt is preferable in my opinion.
I'd agree. From what I understand, it's pretty hard to getall 9 lugs to bear evenly when the bolt is closed which can have a negativeeffect on accuracy. The 3-lug system provides, IMO, the bestcombination bolt throw, strength and precision. More than 3 lugs adds unnecessary complexity, IMO.

And for me, given the choice between the two, I'd takethe Sako 75without a second thought.

Mike

bigbulls 07-29-2005 06:51 PM

And those nine little bitty lugs that Weatherby uses do not come close to having the strength of the three that Sako uses.

And like driftrider said, it is next to impossible to get all nine of those lugs to bear against their seats evenly so how many are actually taking the strain of the firing? I know for a fact that in many cases as the gun comes out of the box from Weatherby, with out having been hand lapped by a gunsmith, that some of the lugs do not even touch their seats much less bear unevenly.

driftrider 07-29-2005 07:21 PM

I know the gunshop wouldn't allow it, but I'd like to take a NIB Weatherby MkV magnum action and soot the lugs and then close the bolt and see just how many of the lugs actually touch the reciever at all, let alone come in full even contact. I'd be surprised if more than 50% of the total lug bearing surface actually contacts the receiverwhen the bolt is closed. I think that the6 and 9 lugdesign gives the buyer a false sense of strength (because nine just MUST be better than two or three, right?!). I'm not saying that the MkV is a poor action, but I think that it's overpriced and overrated. All having 6 or 9 lugs and their corresponding recesses does is increase the complexity and cost of machining the rifle.

Mike