Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Sako75 or Wby accumark

Old 07-29-2005, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Sako75 or Wby accumark

The "seating 9 small lugs evenly is impossible" topic is always brought up to discredit the Mark V action. But the action is STILL universally praised for its great strength. How many people can honestly say they have seen a MK V action fail?

I own both actions in question and there is no question that the Sako is THE smoother of the two. (Personally I think the only action smoother than the Sako is the 202 Sauer, it even makes the 75 feel like a 700ADL ). As for scopemounts, the Mk V (non-lightweight) are the exact same fit as any Rem 700 and will take them likewise. So your choices there are practically unlimited. As was said, Talley and Optilock are about all you will find anymore in my gunsafe. The few Leupold sets I have left are ALL dual dovetails. As long as a system has ANYTHING but simple windage screws holding the rear rings too the base, it is probably a decent setup.

IMHO the 75 is a hunting rifle and very usable. The Accumark is more a treestand rifle due too its size and weight if you ask me. But EITHER are very fine rifles and will shoot well and certainly kill like lightning,
RA
Old 07-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Driftrider I have done just that on more than one Weatherby and they do not all make contact. I never actually sat down and calculated the percentage of contact but some do not even touch.

Yes the Weatherby is a strong action, just like most all of them, but I also agree that is way over priced and offers no real value over other action designs. Unless you just like the looks of all those lugs.[&:]

Maybe I'll sit down tomorow and actually measure and calculate just how much contact Weatherbys lugs actually make with their seats.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Either way is a very good choice. I was lucky enough to get a chance to shoot a Sako 75 and Weatherby Mark IV. I was also looking hard at two other very good models at the time, the Sauer 202 and Steyer SBS. I shot several different rounds thru both. I ended up going with the Mark IV as it was the better of the two as far as accuracy. The shop owner thatI bought it from is a dealer for both Sako, Weatherby and others. He shoots a Weatherby Accumark himself. I think the two are very close in many ways. Both have very good quality and have smooth actions with short bolt throws.

I also have a Browning A-Bolt and Tikka Whitetail Hunter. I like these guns as they are also accurate and well made. Neither can out shoot my Weatherby.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Spike

I'm not into it as much as you guys, don't even understand the lug stuff, like to give my opinion though.
I have a weatherby 300 mag Euromark, it has a beautiful wood stock that I love. It really shoots great. I also have a weatherby 270 mag ultra lightweight. This gun shoots just as good if not better than the 300 mag. I don't want to get into the animals killed by the two but have been using them on med to large game in the States and Canada for the last ten years at least two hunts per year. I would buy another and would recommend them to anyone. Never shot a Sako, and if I had gone that route I probably would be happy with it also. I love these two Weatherby's. Just good shooters.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I compared both the WBY and Sako and bought the Sako.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sako, hands down.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Sako, hands down.
Make that two hands down.....
Old 07-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now, I’m not familiar with the WBY at all but I’m very satisfied with my Sako and it looks like the Sako has the majority of votes. Good luck with your choice...
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 PM

Go with the Sako!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Spike

Thanks for all of the info! I just ordered the Sako 75 synthetic stainless, can't
wait to get it.

Quick Reply: Sako75 or Wby accumark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.