HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Birchwood/Casey perma blue (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/104535-birchwood-casey-perma-blue.html)

HighDesertWolf 07-03-2005 04:51 AM

Birchwood/Casey perma blue

Awesome stuff, I used some tonight on a shotgun barrel that needed touching up. All I can say is it worked great. I applied the stuff 3 times to match the arleady existing blueing an almost perfect blend in, then I buffed it lightly with steel wool and then gave the entire barrel a good rub down with some rem oil. you can hardly tell where I touched it up at unless you look real close. deffinately the best 4 dollars ever spent. Anybody else have as good of an experience with this stuff as i did??

frizzellr 07-03-2005 08:27 AM

RE: Birchwood/Casey perma blue

Only problem I have had with it is it seems the touch ups are far more suseptable to rust than the rest of the metal.

Charley 07-03-2005 12:52 PM

If I am going to use a cold blue, itwill beeither Oxpho-Blue from Brownell's, or Blue Wonder. Nothing else comes close, IME.

Slamfire 07-03-2005 05:36 PM

I'm with Charley, but I think the Blue Wonder's a bit easier to use.:D

longrifle1000 07-03-2005 10:13 PM

I agree with the others. I have had better results with the oxpho-blue. The perma blue will be more suseptable to rust. I was not at all happy with the long term results. At first, it looked good. But after that it looked aweful. Hope you have better luck than I did.

thndrchiken 07-04-2005 10:53 AM

Blue Wonder rocks, it's so easy to use, consistant look andresults. No nasty odor either.

liquidorange 07-04-2005 06:17 PM

i tried re- blueing in the past and it comes out o.k. at best. i would rather wait till the barrel really needs some help and then send it out for hot blue. last time i sent a barrel out it was around 100$ but it looks new when i get it back.

Cottoneye Joe 07-04-2005 08:04 PM

I've had good results with the B-C Perma Blue. About 7 years ago I reblued on old Winchester single-shot .22 rifle with the stuff. I applied it to the gun as the directions stated, and the finish came out very nice. I have yet to have any problem with the bluing wearing thin or the gun rusting, but then I am a stickler for keeping my guns oiled or wiped down with a silicon rag.

vangunsmith 07-10-2005 10:17 PM

All these blueing solutions,first came out for touch up work on screws and pins ect. They have and will be used by some to try and blue there guns with it. It does make them look better,but will not protect it like the hot bath blueing process. Which is oxidizing on the metal,(just like rust is a oxidizing process).Its come a long way since they first came out. vangunsmith

Charley 07-11-2005 02:47 PM

Oxpho-blue is a cold blue, of course. Is is a surface coating, like other cold blues. Blue Wonder is entirly different, I believe it is a photo chemical reaction to a micronized metal coating that does penetrate ferrous metals. Doesn't rub off, like cold blues, and does provide a very good degree of corrosion protection. Corrosion protection is higher than hot blueing, because the finish is not a layer of oxidized metal.