HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   Hi Point handguns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/101528-hi-point-handguns.html)

banjo201 05-28-2005 06:19 PM

Hi Point handguns

I have a question. I don't have a lot of money to spend but I want either a 9mm or a .40. I am just planning to use it as a second gun for self defense. A man who attends my church has a Hi Point 9mm and he likes his. I have hear both bad and good, with the good outweighting the bad. What do you folks think of the Hi Point line?

SPIKEHORN11 05-28-2005 09:35 PM

RE: Hi Point handguns

All I heard is bad. I would look at the Kel Tec line before them.

Roskoe 05-28-2005 09:52 PM

This is a joke, right?

Briman 05-28-2005 10:44 PM

A Star B 9mm pistol is a much better and even less expensive handgun than a Hi Point, and best of all, its made of steel:D

popeye 05-29-2005 06:43 AM

J-U-N-K, pass on the Hi-Point and buy something else.

missed_another 05-29-2005 09:52 AM

i had a hi-point 9mm and i did not have any problems at all. but i only ran about 500 rounds threw it. the only reason i sold it was because i decided i want a lighter gun for a 9mm and the kel-tec would hold larger mags. i ended up with the kel-tec. i didn't see much differance between the kel-tec and the hi-point for dependably. actually i have had more missfires and jams with my kel-tec but that was because i was trying some cheap mags. with a good s&w mag the kel-tec fires great. the hi-point always fired went called apond but only 10 rd. mags are available. you can get a 15 a 17 or even up to a 30 rd. mag for the kel-tec. it looks strange with a thirty rd. hanging out the bottom but it is fun to cut lose with. i have never heard bad reports about the 9mm hi-point but i have heard of problems with the bigger famed hi-points. :)

frizzellr 05-29-2005 11:08 AM

I have never heard anything good about Hi-Point and I am not impressed after shooting one.

johnch 05-29-2005 02:14 PM

The local cops seized a 9mm High Point .
I was at the range when they tryed it out .
They mixed HP , Ball and lead reloads and could not get it to fail.
IMO a low priced clunkey pistol that go's bang.
Also a good club if you run out of ammo.

The 40 is much bigger than the 9mm in size and weight.

Johnch

Roskoe 05-29-2005 02:29 PM

Kind of larger version of the infamous Saturday night special - similar to a Jennings or Davis .25 auto.

Briman 05-29-2005 05:12 PM

Kind of larger version of the infamous Saturday night special - similar to a Jennings or Davis .25 auto.
Not even close.

The Hi Point is clunky ugly, oversized but very reliable.

The Davis and Jennings pistols were not only unreliable, but many were unsafe to shoot. At least as far as we know, Hi Point doesn't employ gang members who steal cases of the pistols off the loading dock and distribute them among their friends.